Gibson Brands Forums

Wonky volume pot

G Mac

I have a 1966 ES-330 that is the love of my life and recently, the treble volume pot has been cutting in and out.It clears up if I give it a few good spins but, returns after a while if the guitar sits in its case.I would like to know if a bit of Deoxit will be a remedy or if I should replace the pot. If I replace it, what pot should I get and where should I get it? Thanks in advance for any help!

I would like to know if a bit of Deoxit will be a remedy...

Yes, most likely, and certainly the first thing to try on a "classic". I have seen discussed a way to get the cleaner into the pot from the top by using a straw around the shaft (after knob removal). Let Google and YouTube be your friend.

IF... you have to replace the pot, CTS Corp. was the main pot supplier to Gibson at that time, and their products are easy to source. There should be some code numbers on the back of the pot that give you some info. Having an Ohm Meter and being able to measure the resistance value of the pot will also be helpful.

Replacing a pot in a hollow or semi-hollow is a pretty major ordeal, and usually involves dis-assembling and removing the entire wiring harness. NOT for the faint of heart.

Many thanks to you both for your input! Since I am not electronically inclined, I will have a repair person do the work of replacing the pot, if necessary. I am confident that I would only screw up my baby by trying to do it myself. I'll post the results of my(our) efforts when I do the do. Thanks again!

Try one shot of spray electronics cleaner. Find a tiny opening into the pot. That will knock out the issue.

Yes, most likely, and certainly the first thing to try on a "classic". I have seen discussed a way to get the cleaner into the pot from the top by using a straw around the shaft (after knob removal). Let Google and YouTube be your friend.

IF... you have to replace the pot, CTS Corp. was the main pot supplier to Gibson at that time, and their products are easy to source. There should be some code numbers on the back of the pot that give you some info. Having an Ohm Meter and being able to measure the resistance value of the pot will also be helpful.

Replacing a pot in a hollow or semi-hollow is a pretty major ordeal, and usually involves dis-assembling and removing the entire wiring harness. NOT for the faint of heart.

All true, just to reinforce the points.

In all my experience cleaning pots on guitars and stereos, VERY NEARLY always does a cleaning fix this issue.

Make sure the cleaner spray says "for pots" among the uses for it, because there are some that will work to get rid of the noise, but will also dry out the element and make it wear out faster. DeOxit is great, but they also make or used to make a kind you DON'T want to use on pots. But most of the DeOxit I have seen in the past 10 years or so is good for pots, and says so on the can.

If, IF you can reach the open part on the side of the pot (that's on the back, underneath the body), great. Shoot it straight in with the straw. But if not, as L5LARRY says, take the knob off and you can get it in just as good. Spray it into the space between the turning part of the shaft and the fixed part, as though you were lubricating a moving part. It will run down the shaft, onto the wiper attached to the shaft, and onto the surface the wiper runs on. Then while it is wet, turn the pot back and forth and that will clean it.

Use a rag or paper towel around the outside to catch what you don't want on the finish, and wipe off what you get on it. I haven't ever seen damage from the cleaner though. But obviously, you don't want to spray so much as it gets everywhere and into the rest of the guitar.

So, I called Caig Industries(the company that makes DeOxit) and talked to their tech support person. She told me not to use the DeOxit Gold G5 that I have because it contains solvent which is not good for pots. Instead, she recommended the DeOxit 100(part no. D100S-2) which is 100% DeOxit. I'm glad I called to make sure! I've had to special order the spray that she suggested as Guitar Center doesn't carry it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks everybody for your assistance!

Archived