Gibson Brands Forums

Who uses Elixir strings?

C-RAM

The reason I ask is I recently bought a used guitar and found 'something' attractive about the strings on it - guy I bought it from said it had a fresh set of Elixir 10s. I took my caliper and measured the gauges .010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046, which is lighter than any sets I use, so maybe that's part of it... I looked up Elixir and saw that these are 'coated' strings, the wound ones at least. The other thing I noticed was two distinct flavors: Polyweb and Nanoweb.

I haven't explored anything new string-wise for awhile, so all I can say is these have a very slight difference in feel to regular nickel roundwounds - hard to be specific, but I like it! Don't notice any appreciable sonic differences, positive or negative.

Any regular users care to provide some personal input?

I used Elixir Nanowebs (10-46) with Cleartone's as a backup on my elec's for a couple of years. A few years ago I decided to try something different "just because". Bought some EB Slinky's and well...meh. [thumbdn] Then I bought some EB Cobalt's and WooHoo! Brighter, crisper, and last just as long without sounding "dull" after a few weeks. [thumbup] That said, for my acoustics, I like D'Addario EJ 160's (80/20 phosphur bronze), and they're coated too, so go figure. [confused]

I've long noted that strings are one of those "subjective" things that are easily swayed by your or others opinions, so my advice is to just experiment and see what you like. It's worked for me.

I've used nothing but Elixir strings on my acoustics for 20 years or so. They aren't as bright as regular uncoated phosphor bronze strings, but I actually like that. I never was a fan of the overly bright new set of strings acoustic sound. And the Elixirs keep the same sound for at least 6 months. I started using them before there was a Nanoweb option so I've stuck with the Polyweb. Seems to me the Nanoweb is a compromise, and since I like the coated sound of the Polyweb I've stuck with it.

I have never tired Elixir strings on any of my electrics though, so I can't really help you there.

I use them on my J-45.

I think they are nanos.

I love them!

I suppose if there was a quality to be noticed, you'd notice it on an acoustic capable of some volume... I guess what I'm detecting is a slightly 'smoother' tactile feel - I'd imagine they might help with finger squawk moving up and down the neck?

I've long noted that strings are one of those "subjective" things that are easily swayed by your or others opinions

I've been doing some side-by-side comparison with a similar scale guitar strung with my go-to Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms (EB or D'Addario EXL140s), and about the only thing I notice is a tad less bite to the touch with these Elixirs. I like it.

I thought I'd ask and see what conclusions others who use these strings came up with - I'm gonna buy a couple of sets in both the Polyweb and Nanoweb flavors and see how I like 'em in the long run, same gauge as this set I've encountered; it'll be like returning to Regular Slinkys, like I used to use years ago.

I have exclusively used Polyweb 10's on my electrics for several years. I used to break strings at the bridge all the time and attribute it to sweat/rust. I now go 6 months at least between changes and even then usually only cos I feel guilty, and do not encounter breaks. I wouldn't use anything else - the reassurance going into any rehearsal or gig that there will be no string issues is fantastic. This is one product I am happy to rave about!

PS: to my understanding they are D'addario strings - the Elixir brand is for the coating not the actual string within.

I suppose if there was a quality to be noticed, you'd notice it on an acoustic capable of some volume... I guess what I'm detecting is a slightly 'smoother' tactile feel - I'd imagine they might help with finger squawk moving up and down the neck?

Well I just really like how they sound. I really like how they feel. And the bonus is how long they stay bright and sound great.

I guess I never really noticed or have been bothered by the "squawking" up and down the neck. That's inherent to the acoustic and part of the charm I think.

But they feel great and sound great for a long time. I think they are a great option but as someone already mentioned strings can be pretty subjective.

Like Surfpup I have never put them on my electrics. I'm too stuck on my Daddario nickel 9s to ever move. Lol

Elixirs are excellent. They last very long (6+ months for me), with very little to compromise. I have been using them for years.

Until, I found out that Rotosounds at 1/3rd of the price, last almost 4 months for me. And sound nothing less than perfect.

Bence.

I have used them on my electrics for quite a few years. I prefer the poly web as they are not quite as bright (to my ear) as the nano's. The nano has a slightly thinner coating than the polys. A couple of times I have left the strings on for so long that the coating would start to deteriorate in the picking area. Great strings that work well for me on the Gibby's and Fenders.

I use Elixir Nanoweb 11s on my acoustics, have done for years. I like the way they are long lasting and certainly don't go off on a hot day or played with hot hands.

I have heard that Martin have a sting out that is as good or better but I haven't any experience of them.

I use Elixir Nanoweb 11s on my acoustics, have done for years. I like the way they are long lasting and certainly don't go off on a hot day or played with hot hands.

I have heard that Martin have a sting out that is as good or better but I haven't any experience of them.

Me too.

And I've been meaning to try the Martin's , as I heard they have a thinner protective coating and sound a bit brighter than the Elixir Nanoweb's.

Archived