Gibson Brands Forums

Need help identifying this 335.

Serial #: 72089155. Will try and post pic's. Tobacco sunburst, covered humbuckers, toggle switch on lower bout, trapeze tailpiece, mahogany neck(?), and "bone" nut.. Is this a 1979 ES335 CRR? Are those covered "Dirty Fingers"? Why the trapeze? Condition would be a 7 out of 10 . . . maybe a 6.

post-80042-009881500 1470751691_thumb.jpg

... and "bone" nut... Are those covered "Dirty Fingers"? ...

If the nut is original, it is pretty likely real bone.

I never encountered covered Gibson pickups with two rows of adjustable pole pieces exposed. I guess they never made "Dirty Fingers" pickups with covers.

Not on the CRR. They used a brass nut. I tried loading these pics and I kept having to make them smaller to upload. I'll try again. I've confirmed the year/date/etdc off the serial number. My main concern is that the CRR's are moew like the ones BTOTH showed. Features unlike the CRR: Bone nut, trapeze tailpiece, and covered buckers.

Upload Skipped (This file was too big to upload)

From GUITAR DATER PROJECT: ser #72089155

Your guitar was made at the Kalamazoo Plant, MI, USA

on July 27th, 1979

Production Number: 155

My guess is: someone has replaced the worn brass nut with a more traditional bone one. Also, - being an old-fashioned guy - He removed the TP-6 bridge and installed a classic trapeze unit. Of course, a conservative person would not be happy with the high-output Dirty Fingers either...

The big coil-tap switch gives it away as a CRR.

Bence.

Archived