Gibson Brands Forums

1995 Gibson Les Paul Custom

silver_mica

I'm considering buying this guitar. Although, I prefer a different color - cherry or honey burst. Other than the color, this is what I want. I have a few questions.

1) is it authentic?

2) is that an ebony fretboard?

3) are the inlays plastic (celluloid, pearloid, or whatever)

4) What is something like this worth?

image5_zpsq6pnlzvs.jpg

01717_8zHmfAjIMND_1200x900_zps3fz0eprs.jpg

image2_zpsrxk3bxew.jpg

image3_zpsolnihnlg.jpg

image4_zpsnvekz3jq.jpg

image1_zpswkhd9fji.jpg

image1_zpswkhd9fji.jpg

I'm considering buying this guitar. Although, I prefer a different color - cherry or honey burst. Other than the color, this is what I want. I have a few questions.

1) is it authentic?

2) is that an ebony fretboard?

3) are the inlays plastic (celluloid, pearloid, or whatever)

4) What is something like this worth?

Hey Silver;

1) yes

2) yes (Gibson wasn't using Richlite yet)

3) I don't know but for sure but I don't think its celluloid the inlays on my customs feel pretty hard but I'm hesitate to stick them with a hot pin to find out for sure.

4) in Canada between 2500-3500, this looks to be in good shape so prob closer to the 35

Good luck, Johnny

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Johnny. I'd be nice if the headstock and fretboard inlays are mother of pearl (MOP). Are there other tests to differentiate between MOP and Plastic?

You could probably find out from Gibson customer service by sending them an email. To be honest its never bother me enough to find out for sure. I have contacted Gibson previously for other things and they've always replied back within a couple days. Here's the link

http://www.gibson.com/Gibson/Talk-2-Us.aspx

Johnny

Thanks for the link. I'll send an email. Oh, by the way, can you tell from the photos above if the bridge is ABR1 Tuneomatic bridge or a Nashville bridge?

You're welcome.

That would be a Nashville, ABR have a saddle screw retaining wire and are screwed directly into the wood rather than the inserts that the Nashville uses. There are after market conversion kits that allow you to replace the Nashville with abr but still uses inserts (smaller posts on abr than the nashville so you have to pull and replace the inserts). Nashville will allow for wider travel when setting intonation though, which can eliminate the need to flip a saddle to extend travel for intonation.

I wonder which is more common, a Nashville bridge or ABR bridge. For brand new or later model Les Paul guitars are the ABR bridges only used on those designated as "historic" Gibson guitars?

You are correct, the ABR are limited to reissues and special runs. Nashville's have been in use for the the regular USA production for decades.

Archived