Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Signature Bass

Bstbomber

I have a Les Paul Signature Bass.

i am trying to find out Info on it.

Int may be a prototype or early Production Model.

It has a Different Pick Up than all the others I have seen.

The only one I have seen with same Pick Up is from this attached ad that I found.

The only difference with mine is it has all Les Paul style knobs.

One in ad has Black V/T Knobs and a Chicken Head switch Knob.

serial# 055859

post-80085-050494900 1470866409_thumb.jpg

I have a Les Paul Signature Bass.

i am trying to find out Info on it.

Int may be a prototype or early Production Model.

It has a Different Pick Up than all the others I have seen.

The only one I have seen with same Pick Up is from this attached ad that I found.

The only difference with mine is it has all Les Paul style knobs.

One in ad has Black V/T Knobs and a Chicken Head switch Knob.

serial# 055859

post-80085-050494900 1470866409_thumb.jpg

I'm certainly no expert on Gibson, but the pic you posted links back to an article listing it as a '73 signature. I've never seen one, but have seen some of the later ones (also referenced in the same link). If i had to speculate it looks to me like its basically the same bass just in white instead of gold and without the squared off creme pick up cover. I believe all of these basses used low impedance pick ups similar to the recording models.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump in.

Johnny

Hi, The very first Les Paul Signatures were like yours, with the Les Paul Recording type pickup in cream color. Then a low impedance super humbucker was used, I believe it was designed by Bill Lawrence. I have been collecting low impedance guitars, (among others) for over twenty years & have never seen one with the oval pickup.

PairD.jpg

LPSigBroch_zpscnjpiypb.jpg

1973PriceListLPSig_zpshbmhe2qo.jpg

Here is a photo of mine & a few pieces of literature from 1973 that show what I believe to be yours. The bass pickup for the Les Paul Bass has (8) wires coming out of it & is larger than the guitar pickup. The electronics for the Les Paul Signature bass was not set up to use all of the coil combinations that the bass pickup offered. The guitar pickup only had two wires & was likely what was used. They look to be the same in this literature. Please measure the length & width of your pickup & I can tell you which one it is. Ironically, they used the same super humbucker for both pickups on the Les Paul Signature guitar & bass.

In the Vintage section of this Forum, we have a Low Impedance Club. You may want to post there......................

The 1975 Gibson sales brochure shows the Les Paul Signature Bass with the rectangular pickup (described as "Low Impedance 'Super Humbucking' Pickup"), and all speed knobs, so this was the configuration by '75.

In the same catalog (1975), the "Les Paul Triumph" bass shows a rounded end p/u that looks similar to what's posted above, but with a black cover (described as "Low Impedance Humbucking Pickup").

Serial numbers for Gibsons of this era are useless for anything except insurance coverage, but the potentiometer codes will help date when this instrument was assembled.

Archived