Gibson Brands Forums

G-Force Replacement Tone Difference

Sabredog

Has anyone removed their G-Force from a 2015 or 2016 model with the zero fret.

And what tuners did you use; lighter, heavier, locking tuners, non-locking tuners?

I am feeling like my G-force May be contributing to mushy power chords. I put it into a TC electronics tuner.

And I can watch the low E string change its tuning as the power chord starts and decays. Of course very sharp at the beginning so basically the tune of the low E is all over the place during the power chord.

My telecaster's definitely tighter power chords.

Anyway I am ready to put manual tuners on. Looking for feedback on people that actually have changed them out.

What tonal differences or performance differences.

I read somewhere that some tuners can change the height (And thus the tension) of the string pull across the nut.

Which may lead to some tuning stability issues, but I think manual tuners on most of my guitars seem to be more stable. the G-Force Always seems to need tuning when I pick up the guitar, but it is only slightly out of tune.

I'd definitely feel like I have to tune the guitar more often with the G-Force, Even though it is easier.

2015 Les Paul classic Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker the guitar sounds unbelievably awesome.

I'm wondering if the neck stability has to do with the massive non-chambered piece of mahogany I have in the body.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

And what tuners did you use; lighter, heavier, locking tuners, non-locking tuners?

I am feeling like my G-force May be contributing to mushy power chords. I put it into a TC electronics tuner.

And I can watch the low E string change its tuning as the power chord starts and decays. Of course very sharp at the beginning so basically the tune of the low E is all over the place during the power chord.

Anyway I am ready to put manual tuners on. Looking for feedback on people that actually have changed them out.

I read somewhere that some tuners can change the height (And thus the tension) of the string pull across the nut.

Which may lead to some tuning stability issues, but I think manual tuners on most of my guitars seem to be more stable. the G-Force Always seems to need tuning when I pick up the guitar, but it is only slightly out of tune.

I'd definitely feel like I have to tune the guitar more often with the G-Force, Even though it is easier.

2015 Les Paul classic Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker the guitar sounds unbelievably awesome.

I'm wondering if the neck stability has to do with the massive non-chambered piece of mahogany I have in the body.

Cheers

I have not changed out the G-Force tuners. If I should do, it will be if it develops a fault. I doubt it will change the sound of your guitar.

What model guitar is this BTW?

It seems you have already replaced the pickups. Did it have the same issue before you changed them?

I dont think you will ever get a similar sound from a Gibson when comparing to a Fender. Its not a reasonable comparison to make. The Longer scale of your Tele will enable more definition. Probably the pickups also.

Cheers

Hello -

My first post on this forum :)

I recently acquired a LS Special double cut 2015 with G-Force and zero fret nut. I had some apparent tuning stability issues as well, and here's how I solved them w/o replacing the G-Force:

* I'm mostly a Fender player and the short scale of the LP makes for 'floppier' strings. I tend to press too hard and make things go sharp. I solved this by going to a heavier string gauge (10's).

* The zero nut fret is made of brass and that is too soft. I replaced it with a non-zero fret nut from Tusq that fits the unique slot.

* I have made sure to set up the G-Force correctly for my playing and environment, including calibration, gain, and cross talk filtering.

* I replaced the saddle with one that can set the intonation, the Signum from Schaller.

These things have all made a big difference and the guitar is now rock (heh heh) solid tuning-wise.

Mike

Archived