Gibson Brands Forums

Locking strap help

pwood

I have always used Schaller straplocks however I am reluctant to use them on my new 2016 Standard T. I am considering a Lock-it guitar strap which I gather works in reverse unlike the Planet waves versions. Annoyingly Lock-It are not easily found in the UK so I would have to buy online . I need a new strap as the one I have available is too short although its unfinished leather on the inside so grips well The other concern is what material is safest on nitro.

What are you all using or found to be good with the SG?

I have both Lock-It straps and Planet Waves versions. Both have a soft material at contact points to the guitar (finish).

I only use Planet Waves on the Gibsons and they are always removed after gigs because they dont fit the cases otherwise. This minimises contact with the guitar finish, but I've never witnessed any adverse effect on the finish in any case.

Both types are fit for purpose. Personally I prefer the Planet Waves kind.

I dont have a SG, but my ES-339 forward strap pin is at the heel position (like an SG).

I think most people use Dunlop or Schaller locking strap PINS, but like you I am less keen on these (yes I have used them). These would isolate the guitar from contact with the strap completely of course.

If you want Lock-Its, why not buy from USA?

hi pwood

why the reluctance for the schaler's on your SG?

I have 2 SGs, and I use schaler's on both of them. (as well as all my other electrics.)

The screws never seem to fit and need changing although I have never tried fitting them to a Gibson. Main reason is I play with headphones a lot and when fitted the metallic noise is a bit annoying.

I have both Lock-It straps and Planet Waves versions. Both have a soft material at contact points to the guitar (finish).

I only use Planet Waves on the Gibsons and they are always removed after gigs because they dont fit the cases otherwise. This minimises contact with the guitar finish, but I've never witnessed any adverse effect on the finish in any case.

Both types are fit for purpose. Personally I prefer the Planet Waves kind.

I dont have a SG, but my ES-339 forward strap pin is at the heel position (like an SG).

I think most people use Dunlop or Schaller locking strap PINS, but like you I am less keen on these (yes I have used them). These would isolate the guitar from contact with the strap completely of course.

If you want Lock-Its, why not buy from USA?

Could buy from US but adds to the cost when shopping is added. If the Planet Waves fit then I'll give them a go as there is few designs I like. If it's not suitable I'll just go with the Schallers.

The screws never seem to fit and need changing although I have never tried fitting them to a Gibson. Main reason is I play with headphones a lot and when fitted the metallic noise is a bit annoying.

can't help with the noise, ... but for installing, don't use the provided screw is all. Just use the same screws that the Gibson pins arrive with.... That's what I've done on all 4 of my USA gibsons, (my epiphones to btw). they've been on there for years now. no issues. If that's any help, maybe check it out.

can't help with the noise, ... but for installing, don't use the provided screw is all. Just use the same screws that the Gibson pins arrive with.... That's what I've done on all 4 of my USA gibsons, (my epiphones to btw). they've been on there for years now. no issues. If that's any help, maybe check it out.

Thanks for that. If the original screws will fit Schallers that's great to know.

Could buy from US but adds to the cost when shopping is added. If the Planet Waves fit then I'll give them a go as there is few designs I like. If it's not suitable I'll just go with the Schallers.

Just ensure the strap you order is of the locking type. Planet Waves do the same designs for both conventional & locking straps.

They work using a 'one-way' ratchet system to close over the strap pin. To remove there is a sprung release button. Its well designed and secure. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I must confess;

I have always been enamored of the strap-locks and locking straps, but I'm quite honestly unable to find a reason to commit to them.

My reasons for sticking with the standard strap buttons and standard straps;

a. I have always been happy with my basic set-ups.

b. I acquire and divest guitars left and right over the years, and don't want to mess with the logistics of changing out.

c. I pay attention to the wear and tear of my standard (leather-end) straps, and if they show signs of backing off and failing, into the trash they go.

d. I have never dropped a guitar because of a sloppy or poorly-designed strap and button set-up.

and, most importantly,

e. I don't ever do the David Lee Roth Band-era, Steve Vai-style, 'fling the guitar behind the back and around to the front' showman stunts.

It's just not my thing.

Forgive me for this rejection of the strap-lock dealios.

It's nothing personal.

I just don't see where they are going to make my life any better.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

[crying]

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The above posting is the personal opinion of the poster Sparquelito, and his alone. No connection between his opinions and the Gibson Guitar Corporation and/or the Gibson guitar web forum is implied.

I must confess;

I have always been enamored of the strap-locks and locking straps, but I'm quite honestly unable to find a reason to commit to them.

My reasons for sticking with the standard strap buttons and standard straps;

a. I have always been happy with my basic set-ups.

b. I acquire and divest guitars left and right over the years, and don't want to mess with the logistics of changing out.

c. I pay attention to the wear and tear of my standard (leather-end) straps, and if they show signs of backing off and failing, into the trash they go.

d. I have never dropped a guitar because of a sloppy or poorly-designed strap and button set-up.

and, most importantly,

e. I don't ever do the David Lee Roth Band-era, Steve Vai-style, 'fling the guitar behind the back and around to the front' showman stunts.

It's just not my thing.

Forgive me for this rejection of the strap-lock dealios.

It's nothing personal.

I just don't see where they are going to make my life any better.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

[crying]

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The above posting is the personal opinion of the poster Sparquelito, and his alone. No connection between his opinions and the Gibson Guitar Corporation and/or the Gibson guitar web forum is implied.

The day you catch one of your instruments as the guitar strap snaps loose while you are just chilling waiting for the next song... and your axe is heading for the floor, then you will know. ..

The day you catch one of your instruments as the guitar strap snaps loose while you are just chilling waiting for the next song... and your axe is heading for the floor, then you will know. ..

I appreciate your advice and your concern (for the objects of my addiction), but I'm good here.

My rejection of the strap-lock dealios isn't personal, please understand that.

Unlike most players, I pay unusual attention to all the details of every guitar I own and pick up.

I throw out any strap that isn't as tight as a Junior High School gymnast.

I tighten-up any strap button hardware that comes loose, I carefully inspect my straps, and I give each and every corner of my guitars more than the average amount of love and wax and polish.

And again, my on-stage gymnastics are limited to hopping around hither and yon with joy, and (every now and then) cranking out a Jimmy Page roundabout stroke onto the top of the E and A strings.

I don't participate in those histrionics that might put my guitars in peril.

I ADMIRE you guys who invest in the strap-locks and who go the extra mile to make sure your axes don't contact the concrete stage floor.

You fellows are my heroes, and I put you in the same category as those fellows who change your strings every nine days or so.

I salute you.

I just know what works for me.

May the force be with you, good sir.

:)

wpid-article-1332856666802-1259e22e000005dc-702712_636x348.jpg

sparky

yea, It is a personal thing, I get that.

I've seen too many great guitars hit to floor and become not so great due to a strap that's go a loose button hole, or like an SG, behind the body buttons where the strap angle isn't quite tense enough to ensure a solid contact.

when I got my first SG, I went to adjust a mic stand, and the strap just popped out... luck was on my side and I was able to grab it. Otherwise a new SG was gonna be not so new. I ordered strap locks when I got home, and installed right quick. all my electrics have them.

I get that, and I respect that.

And I'm sorry that my earlier posting sounded even a little bit like, "I reject strap-locks, and my way is better".

Strap-locks are better, and much safer.

They are a good investment.

I just haven't chose to cross-over to them.

I can't say why exactly.

Maybe I've just been lucky, and it's like a superstition thing.

In other words, if it's working for me, let's not rile-up the Gods of voodoo and dark magic, and not disturb the order of the universe.

I'm a weird guy.

And lucky, too.

I've never broken a guitar string on stage, never been in an auto-accident, never had an engine failure in a helicopter, and I've never accidentally gotten a girl pregnant.

Just dumb luck, I guess.

[unsure]

never took it that way Sparky...

Just sharing opines!

let's not rile-up the Gods of voodoo and dark magic, and not disturb the order of the universe.

I'm knocking on wood for ya as I type!! :)

the guy I've been working/playing with for (wait for it...) the last 38 years, has never once touched a strap lock, or intends to.

you aint alone

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late to the conversation, but I've used Dunlops and Schallers, and I prefer Schallers.

I use Lock-It straps for my acoustic guitars, really like those too.

Sparquellto, I USED to change my strings every 9 days. Just kidding, but I used to change them often, and when I was young, I used to bounce around stage a lot. One thing not addressed in this thread though is that straps don't last forever! I had a Dunlop equipped leather strap for my G&L bass that I used for over 30 years and one band practice it just broke...guess I got my money's worth out of it...

Archived