Gibson Brands Forums

70's Tribute

Junior Jr III

I'm looking at getting a 2012 LP 70's Tribute. It's got mini humbuckers, gold foil knobs, a cream pickguard and a black body. But when I check online I only see this model offered in 4 colors, none of them black. Does anyone know if this was a factory color once upon a time?

I will have it in my hands next week and may be able to tell then. From the picture it looks like a black satin finish.

Bill

I'm looking at getting a 2012 LP 70's Tribute. It's got mini humbuckers, gold foil knobs, a cream pickguard and a black body. But when I check online I only see this model offered in 4 colors, none of them black. Does anyone know if this was a factory color once upon a time?

I will have it in my hands next week and may be able to tell then. From the picture it looks like a black satin finish.

Bill

Hey Bill;

Don't see it listed as a colour on the Gibson specs, but a quick google does return pics of satin black ones, I would assume a run for one of the big chain stores. These runs for the chains don't always make it on the Gibby site.

Good luck, and if you get post pics!!

Johnny

Hello.

The guitars of the first run of the Studio 70s Tribute weren't offered in black finish.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-70s-Tribute.aspx

The second, - post 2013 - run did include a black model.

http://es.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-70s-Tribute.aspx

Bence.

It's real curious. This one is definitely a 2012 in satin black. But it has the mini humbuckers, cream pickguard and gold tophat knobs. Sounds like the best bet is a special run that isn't listed. It has a good feel to it. Fast action & light but it has a little bit of fret buzz and lots of hum. The bridge pickup is considerably quieter than the neck too so it's probably going back. Will try it out for a few more days.

That's sort of the impression that I got, that someone had modified a different model. The 50's & 60's Tributes do look a lot like this one except for the mini-hums. I'll take a look at the back of the headstock tonight.

I'd still keep it if it performed just a little better. Unfortunately, compared to the Epi Blackback it's not worth the price. Maybe a few tweaks at the dealer will set it right.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Hello.

Also, the mini humbuckers in the 70s Tribute are not the same as the ones in Your guitar.

Your black guitar has classic "Deluxe" mini humbuckers with polepieces visible.

The 70s Tribute guitar came with fully-enclosed, rail-type pickups:

Pickups.jpg

Bence.

Hello.

Also, the mini humbuckers in the 70s Tribute are not the same as the ones in Your guitar.

Your black guitar has classic "Deluxe" mini humbuckers with polepieces visible.

The 70s Tribute guitar came with fully-enclosed, rail-type pickups:

Pickups.jpg

Bence.

Bence is correct again, the mini's in my 70's tribute SG are the same as illustrated in the pic supplied.

They should sound pretty good if they are Gibson mini's though, I have a set in an Epi LP and love them.

Johnny

Now I'm curious about what kind of pickups are in this. I've wanted a Deluxe, but not for $1800. This could be my ersatz Deluxe for $700. A good fit for an ersatz guitarist.

Thanks for all the sleuthing. I didn't know about the volute nor did I pick up on the headstock and visible polepieces.

OK, I still have the guitar. I pulled one of the pickups out to see what was in there and here's what I found

guitar%201_zpsn8peunqz.jpg

So is this a real Gibson mini-humbucker? What would it have come out of before it was installed here?

Oddly, the patent number refers to Mr Polfuss's bridge/tailpiece combo which does not apply to this guitar.

I'm caught between keeping this one (if I can figure out what it is) and a 1990 Studio in yellowed white.

OK, I still have the guitar. I pulled one of the pickups out to see what was in there and here's what I found

guitar%201_zpsn8peunqz.jpg

So is this a real Gibson mini-humbucker? What would it have come out of before it was installed here?

Oddly, the patent number refers to Mr Polfuss's bridge/tailpiece combo which does not apply to this guitar.

I'm caught between keeping this one (if I can figure out what it is) and a 1990 Studio in yellowed white.

If i had to guess (which all I really can do), i would say that they probably didn't come out of anything but were purchased new to replace the P90's that came out of it since you can buy these from Gibson. Now they could have come out of any Deluxe re-issue or the like.

From what you've shown, I'd keep it myself, but I'm biased as I've an Epi that looks just like it [biggrin]

Johnny

Well, this is all very encouraging. I checked around and found what looks like the exact same pickup.

https://reverb.com/item/2547921-gibson-mini-humbucker-1970s-nickel

So....I think I'll keep 'er. Thanks for the information and thoughts.

Now I need to figure out how to back track on my pledge to "sell one if I buy one". I would sell one of the Epi LPs but .. (I don't wanna!)

Well, this is all very encouraging. I checked around and found what looks like the exact same pickup.

https://reverb.com/item/2547921-gibson-mini-humbucker-1970s-nickel

So....I think I'll keep 'er. Thanks for the information and thoughts.

Now I need to figure out how to back track on my pledge to "sell one if I buy one". I would sell one of the Epi LPs but .. (I don't wanna!)

LOL where there's a will there's a way. It is a sharp looking LP. My suggestion there is to surprise the significant other with something nice.

(I wouldn't want to part with any of my Epi's either)

Johnny

When you really want to know, go to the source. So I emailed Gibson cust. service and got a quick response. This guitar was originally made as a 60's Tribute with P90's installed. I've inquired for further information about the pickups but I don't see many variations in online listings. Just Mini-Humbuckers and maybe when it was made.

Thanks for the tips and insights. Add another to the collection.

This doesn't help at all really, but i'll just leave it here.

I read somewhere that the patent number stamped on the 'Patent No' Gibson pickups was the patent number for the bridge and tailpiece design...not sure why they did that nor do I know the years they were manufactured or if they are still being made.

This doesn't help at all really, but i'll just leave it here.

I read somewhere that the patent number stamped on the 'Patent No' Gibson pickups was the patent number for the bridge and tailpiece design...not sure why they did that nor do I know the years they were manufactured or if they are still being made.

True. This being the first time I ever took a pickup out of a Gibson, I was pretty excited to see the PAT imprint. I looked up the number through the Patent office website and got to see a pdf of Lester's original filing. Sure enough it is for the bridge/tailpiece combo. A wraparound.

So there must be another number for the PAF pickups. Or is there?........

Follow up: I was told that my pickups were pre 1991 because they don't engrave the Pat. No. on them any more. Not since '91. Instead there is supposed to be a sticker that says "Patent Applied For". These pickups don't look that old to me. Then again, they're pickups. ?

I know PAF is a bit of a marketing gimmick now but shouldn't they just go ahead and put the actual number on the back?

Follow up: I was told that my pickups were pre 1991 because they don't engrave the Pat. No. on them any more. Not since '91. Instead there is supposed to be a sticker that says "Patent Applied For". These pickups don't look that old to me. Then again, they're pickups. ?

I know PAF is a bit of a marketing gimmick now but shouldn't they just go ahead and put the actual number on the back?

Now that's funny. Not that they engraved the tailpiece patent no. on the pickup backplates - this is a mistake well known. [biggrin] But pre-1991 mini HBs in a 2012 guitar? I think you really have a rare and special one there! To be honest, I would rate that as a nice surprise and love her for that. [wub]

Archived