Gibson Brands Forums

Pro Buckers

G Mac

I have a Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro that has Pro Bucker pickups in it and my question is; are these pickups low output? I use a Music Man 112RD 50 amp and, with my Mexican Strat, I have no problems. When I use my LP however, I have to give things a good bit of extra juice. Just wondering...

Hi G Mac

My understanding is that the Pro Buckers are quieter than the Burstbuckers they are based on and the Burstbucker is the loweest output Gibson humbucker (I am probably going to get slaughtered saying that!). They are, however, a great pickup so adding a little extra juice is no problem.

Thanks,pandarocket! Now, I can stop thinking that they are somehow defective. I agree that they are great sounding pickups and now I know why they're needing that extra push. I particularly like the single coil sound clean with both pickups. It reminds me of a Gretsch type thing; very boinky. They also have a very nice "give" to them. The initial attack is sharp and articulate which becomes more round and full as the note sustains...

Archived