Gibson Guitar Board: L4 Problem - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

L4 Problem

#1 User is offline   Marcus1968 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:46 AM

First of all a big hello to all Gibson Fans out there. I am sorry to start here as a newbie but this case is kind of urgent. I bought a new L4 and i am more than happy with it but when i set new strings for the very first time i realized there is missin laquer under the bridge. ok one can say who cares.. but i am worried as the missing laquer could grow out of the coverage of the floating bridge. Gibson says it is no warrenty case because it is a 2015 model but i bought it two months ago new in a shop they just ordered it for me directly from the distributor. Someone can tell me if this is a normal thing about the missing laquer.

My link

My link

#2 User is offline   jdgm 

• Now's The Time!
  • LocationIt's nice to be anywhere

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

Unfortunate to see on a new guitar, but common with this type of bridge.
And would eventually happen to some degree as the guitar gets old.
I hope it does not affect your enjoyment of what must be a very fine guitar - I'd love one!
Best wishes.

#3 User is offline   Sofaplayer 

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

To me it looks like Gibson puts the bridge on those archtops before the lacquer has fully dried. There are similar marks under the bridge of my new L5 CES. I even moved the bridge a bit for better intonation so some of the marks are fully visible even with the bridge in place. One has to explicitly look for them, though. Do I care? No. It's tiny and it's just cosmetic. The guitar is woderful otherwise.

#4 User is offline   Marcus1968 

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:13 AM

View PostSofaplayer, on 13 August 2016 - 09:49 AM, said:

To me it looks like Gibson puts the bridge on those archtops before the lacquer has fully dried. There are similar marks under the bridge of my new L5 CES. I even moved the bridge a bit for better intonation so some of the marks are fully visible even with the bridge in place. One has to explicitly look for them, though. Do I care? No. It's tiny and it's just cosmetic. The guitar is woderful otherwise.

Thank you ver much for sharing your experience, so i am fully comfotable now. I was just worried about the laquer could break out on the sides. Thanks i fully enjoy the L4 it is a masterpiece

#5 User is offline   Marcus1968 

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:15 AM

View Postjdgm, on 13 August 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

Unfortunate to see on a new guitar, but common with this type of bridge.
And would eventually happen to some degree as the guitar gets old.
I hope it does not affect your enjoyment of what must be a very fine guitar - I'd love one!
Best wishes.

Thank you for your reply, otherwise this instrument is such a great masterpiece and plays like butter and sounds like cream [biggrin]

#6 User is offline   Sofaplayer 

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:13 PM

Enjoy your L4!

#7 User is offline   powerwagonjohn 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:41 AM

my 2009 L-4 has similar marks. I think it just shows up more on your wine red finish. A beautiful guitar, I am sure you will enjoy it.
Thanks John

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users