Gibson Brands Forums

L4 Problem

Marcus1968

First of all a big hello to all Gibson Fans out there. I am sorry to start here as a newbie but this case is kind of urgent. I bought a new L4 and i am more than happy with it but when i set new strings for the very first time i realized there is missin laquer under the bridge. ok one can say who cares.. but i am worried as the missing laquer could grow out of the coverage of the floating bridge. Gibson says it is no warrenty case because it is a 2015 model but i bought it two months ago new in a shop they just ordered it for me directly from the distributor. Someone can tell me if this is a normal thing about the missing laquer.

My link

My link

Unfortunate to see on a new guitar, but common with this type of bridge.

And would eventually happen to some degree as the guitar gets old.

I hope it does not affect your enjoyment of what must be a very fine guitar - I'd love one!

Best wishes.

To me it looks like Gibson puts the bridge on those archtops before the lacquer has fully dried. There are similar marks under the bridge of my new L5 CES. I even moved the bridge a bit for better intonation so some of the marks are fully visible even with the bridge in place. One has to explicitly look for them, though. Do I care? No. It's tiny and it's just cosmetic. The guitar is woderful otherwise.

To me it looks like Gibson puts the bridge on those archtops before the lacquer has fully dried. There are similar marks under the bridge of my new L5 CES. I even moved the bridge a bit for better intonation so some of the marks are fully visible even with the bridge in place. One has to explicitly look for them, though. Do I care? No. It's tiny and it's just cosmetic. The guitar is woderful otherwise.

Thank you ver much for sharing your experience, so i am fully comfotable now. I was just worried about the laquer could break out on the sides. Thanks i fully enjoy the L4 it is a masterpiece

Unfortunate to see on a new guitar, but common with this type of bridge.

And would eventually happen to some degree as the guitar gets old.

I hope it does not affect your enjoyment of what must be a very fine guitar - I'd love one!

Best wishes.

Thank you for your reply, otherwise this instrument is such a great masterpiece and plays like butter and sounds like cream [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Very late reply to this post, but you might see it? The marks are actually a good thing as they tell you where the bridge was positioned at the factory. If your intonation was good when guitar was new, then you will always know where the bridge should be positioned if you take all six strings off at the same time and the bridge moves. I have known players that actually put a pencil mark along the bridge or even two sided tape underneath (I wouldn't recommend either of those things) to help them position a floating bridge.

Hope you are enjoying the L4 [thumbup]

Archived