Gibson Brands Forums

Standby switch on tube amp?

RudyH

I'm sure Rich or one of the other gear-techs will give you the specifics, but as I understand it it allows you to keep power to the tubes so they don't need to get warmed up each time to stop playing to beat that drunk that just grabbed your old ladies butt.

On my old amp, the stand by switch was used to warm the tubes and get your amp warmed up to play. When you flipped it brought the speaker into use so you could play then. It took about 5 min. for the amp to warm up. so usually it was on stand by till we hit the stage. when we went on flip the switch as you hit the stage and you were set.

don't know the exact workings, but the standby switch is use to keep the tubes warmed up but not running in between sets. also use it when you first trun on the amp so it warms up without driving the speakers and when your done to cool down before powering off, this will help with tub life.

definitely.

tubes are delicate things

you should always allow the tubes to warm up in standby for about 5 minutes or so before turning on full power and playing. likewise you should flip the standby switch when you are done playing-before you turn off, unplug your guitar etc.

also a good idea to carefully check your tubes are properly seated and haven't come loose if you have been lugging your amp or its been bouncing around in a vehicle coming and going to gigs etc.

definitely.

tubes are delicate things

you should always allow the tubes to warm up in standby for about 5 minutes or so before turning on full power and playing. likewise you should flip the standby switch when you are done playing-before you turn off' date=' unplug your guitar etc.

also a good idea to carefully check your tubes are properly seated and haven't come loose if you have been lugging your amp or its been bouncing around in a vehicle coming and going to gigs etc.

[/quote']

+1 but I don't know that five minutes in standby is really necessary; I think one minute is long enough before going to full power.

I don't switch to standby between sets as that allows the tubes to cool of a little bit so I just keep the volume on my guitar down. Although it probably doesn't make much of a difference and they heat back up pretty quick anyway. But, I still prefer to do it that way because if somebody ties to mess with your gear or grab a pedal or something, the loud popping sound will give them away.

When you first power the amp on the standby switch should definitly be in the off position, until the tubes warm up. Then go ahead and cut it on. For turning off it doesn't matter at all which one you turn off first. I usually do them both at the same time.

With my amp that has a standby, I put it in standby for a couple of seconds before cutting the power otherwise there's a "pop" from the amp. I don't know if it matters or not but I figure that it can't hurt rather than having the pop go through the speakers.

The standby switch puts a mild current into the tubes so they are warm and have current running to the plates before the full current comes in. This helps tube life and your sound when you leave them on standy.

I have 3 amps and none have a standy switch, when I turn them on you can see the tubes glowing real bright and then they come down in brightness. That initial load reduces tube life.

Think about it this way, lets say a normal light bulb is rated at 2,000 hours life. That rating is just turning the light bulb once and leave it in on. the more times you turn on and off that light bulb the less it will last because of the initial shock of current that goes through it. You may get 1,000 hours out of that light bulb.

The standby switch helps avoiding that initial shock every time you turn the amp on.

Think about it this way' date=' lets say a normal light bulb is rated at 2,000 hours life. That rating is just turning the light bulb once and leave it in on. the more times you turn on and off that light bulb the less it will last because of the initial shock of current that goes through it. You may get 1,000 hours out of that light bulb.[/quote']

That is an EXCELLENT analogy. Turning on a light bulb by bringing it up a dimmer switch greatly increases the life of the filament.

(In a previous career, I worked in a high end home lighting and decorating store for several years.)

With my amp that has a standby' date=' I put it in standby for a couple of seconds before cutting the power otherwise there's a "pop" from the amp. I don't know if it matters or not but I figure that it can't hurt rather than having the pop go through the speakers.

[/quote']

Best to let it warm up a minute or two before engaging the standby. The tubes will thank you for it. What I do is this ... when I get to the pratice site or gig the first thing I do before setting anything up or even opening the guitar case is turn the amp on. That way it will be plenty warmed up by the time I'm ready to use it.

Best to let it warm up a minute or two before engaging the standby. The tubes will thank you for it. What I do is this ... when I get to the pratice site or gig the first thing I do before setting anything up or even opening the guitar case is turn the amp on. That way it will be plenty warmed up by the time I'm ready to use it.

I give it a minute for warming up, I was talking about shutting it down on that post you quoted.

What I do is this ... when I get to the pratice site or gig the first thing I do before setting anything up or even opening the guitar case is turn the amp on. That way it will be plenty warmed up by the time I'm ready to use it.

+1 That has been my method for years. I also switch to standby before turning the amp off. I always though it was better for the speakers.

In the vintage amp forum most guys say you shouldnt use the standby switch, a very knoledgeable guy over there called Lyle Caldwell (that really knows his stuff, hell he knows MY stuff better than me!) told me that (at least on the VOX AC30) the standby switch should be left in the "on" position allways, as turning it up can lead to damage in the transformer or the rectifier of the amp... the pre and power amp tubes can be damaged too... so I just leave my stdby switch on all the time and use the power on-off switch only... never had a problem that way.

Weird advice. Turning the power on gets the juice flowing to the cathodes so they can heat up nice and toasty and gets them ready to work. The standby sends power to the rest of the circuitry. Still, my little Crate V8 only has an on/off switch.

Samller tube amps usually don't have standby switch because you can always afford to buy two tubes. When you have an amp that takes 4 to 9 tubes you may want the standby for obvious reasons.

How an amplifier is wired makes a difference too. Some amp techs say some amps do not need them at all. But it always comes down to personal opinions and you never know who is right and who isn't.

In the vintage amp forum most guys say you shouldnt use the standby switch' date=' a very knoledgeable guy over there called Lyle Caldwell (that really knows his stuff, hell he knows MY stuff better than me!) told me that (at least on the VOX AC30) the standby switch should be left in the "on" position allways, as turning it up can lead to damage in the transformer or the rectifier of the amp... the pre and power amp tubes can be damaged too... so I just leave my stdby switch on all the time and use the power on-off switch only... never had a problem that way.[/quote']

I never heard that before.I have a 1972 marshall amp that I've had since about 1983,and I have used the standby switch all the time and no issues with anything so far

Archived