Gibson Brands Forums

1984 explorer info

I have an 84 explorer. I ordered some grover tuners for it but the screw hole is in the wrong spot. Ive done research on how to spot a fake gibson, but there's not much info on explorers specifically. It has the right bridge without screws, truss rod cover, and gibson truss rod. My question is why are these tuners different? Is it a fake?

post-80112-084865800 1471109496_thumb.jpeg

post-80112-055974700 1471109543_thumb.jpeg

I have an 84 explorer. I ordered some grover tuners for it but the screw hole is in the wrong spot. Ive done research on how to spot a fake gibson, but there's not much info on explorers specifically. It has the right bridge without screws, truss rod cover, and gibson truss rod. My question is why are these tuners different? Is it a fake?

screw hole positions on tuners vary from brand to brand. the guitar doesn't appear to be fake to me; you just bought tuners that don't line up with the ones Gibson used back then. return the Grovers and get something else.

post-80112-061651600 1471322705_thumb.jpgThe reason I ask is most ive seen with the same tuners have screw holes at different positions. Did they use different ones on the same models?

it's likely. have you tried emailing customer service with your pics? they may be able to confirm.

• 5 months later...

And they are different model tuners and screw positions on a 2008 Explorer:

2008_Gibson_Explorer_Tuners_Rear.jpg

It just varies by which tuning machines they were using for a specific model at a specific point in time. Sometimes it is hard to find aftermarket tuning machines that line up perfectly with the originals, especially when looking for locking, 6 in-line tuners.

Archived