Gibson Brands Forums

Why does Epiphone neglect the Firebird?

Lord Summerisle

I don't know whether anyone from the Epiphone company reads these forums or responds to questions, but I'd love to know if there are any plans at all for Epiphone to make Firebirds in the future, and, if not, I'm curious as to why Epiphone neglects this model so much? There hasn't been a good attempt at an Epiphone Firebird in over a decade (they made some reverse, set-neck Firebird VIIs sometime in the mid-2000s), which were OK-ish. The Firebird Studio from around 2010 was just a funny-shaped SG, and since then....nothing.

It's really odd, because it's such an iconic Gibson model, which Gibson obviously regards as important, because it keeps on introducing Firebird models each year. In fact, I'm really tempted just to save up for a Firebird T, because $1100 is a really great price for a Firebird with those specs: My linkhttp://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/2016-Firebird-T-Electric-Guitar.gc

But that doesn't explain why the Firebird is so neglected by Epiphone. Is it too cost-prohibitive to set up a production line for through-neck guitars? That would seem strange, because, at the end of the day, the body is just mahogany wings glued to the neck. And a Firebird non-reverse is just a straightforward set-neck instrument.

I'd love to see Epiphone do Firebirds, and do them right. A reverse with a through-neck and banjo tuners and mini-humbuckers, a set-neck non-reverse with P90s or mini-humbuckers.

So, Dr. Epiphone, any plans?

1965_Gibson_Firebird_III_289970_004_zpsfc71097c.jpg

imgrc0070485715.jpg

I too am busting to get an Epi Firebird V, I even emailed Epiphone this morning to ask the very same question, Will you be releasing a Firebird in the near future. Here is their response:

Information about new models coming out is considered as confidential information, used for marketing and sales reasons. I therefore suggest you to register to our newsletter, to be up-to-date as soon as new models are being released.

Nice. The Firebird is a great guitar played by some truly inspiring artists (Johnny Winter, Allen Collins, Phil Manzanera...) So come on everyone, maybe we can give Epiphone the boot up the proverbial it needs to get one released!

I did hear unofficial rumblings that they are going to release a limited edition Joe Bonamassa signautre model soon, but I just want a regular V.

Iconic though they may be, it's all about sales and profits. Epiphone discontinued the various Firebirds in their catalog because they didn't sell enough of them to justify the cost of keeping them in production. Simple as that. And unless some new player becomes wildly popular playing a Firebird, Epiphone is unlikely to revisit the model as a production item.

For affordable Firebirds, look to other manufacturers, who can afford to make them in smaller quantities. Like Dillion's Phoenix, for example, in several different finish and pickup configurations. They're made in the Tokai factory, and are pretty darned impressive.

Iconic though they may be, it's all about sales and profits. Epiphone discontinued the various Firebirds in their catalog because they didn't sell enough of them to justify the cost of keeping them in production. Simple as that. And unless some new player becomes wildly popular playing a Firebird, Epiphone is unlikely to revisit the model as a production item.

For affordable Firebirds, look to other manufacturers, who can afford to make them in smaller quantities. Like Dillion's Phoenix, for example, in several different finish and pickup configurations. They're made in the Tokai factory, and are pretty darned impressive.

Thanks for the link to the Dillons - they look great. Do you know of anyone who makes a decent non-reverse (I've never been convinced by those Eastwood Stormbirds)?

As regards the lack of demand - yeah, I suppose I understand that, but my question would be, "How many versions of a Les Paul do you need?" But then I guess all Epi Les Paul models start out on the same production line, so that must benefit manufacturing costs.

@rct

Firebird T

Yeah, I agree those are a great price for the specs - still, $1100 is a fair few hundred bucks above Epi's top end models - how much does a Epi Tribute Les Paul go for? $750? The Firebird T is still in a price division above Epiphone.

@rct

Yeah, I agree those are a great price for the specs - still, $1100 is a fair few hundred bucks above Epi's top end models - how much does a Epi Tribute Les Paul go for? $750? The Firebird T is still in a price division above Epiphone.

The few Epiphone Fibrebirds I've ever run into at the shows and spent any time with make the couple hunnert bucks for a decent Firebird, if you can find one, well worth it. Trouble is I've run into a few pretty Terrible Firebird Ts this year.

rct

The few Epiphone Fibrebirds I've ever run into at the shows and spent any time with make the couple hunnert bucks for a decent Firebird, if you can find one, well worth it. Trouble is I've run into a few pretty Terrible Firebird Ts this year.

rct

The Epi bolt-ons from the 1990s with the "Crafted in Korea" neck plates were particularly horrible; I know, I had one, and it was junk.

I've read the very mixed reviews of the Firebird Ts. That's a shame. If I go that route I'll have to seek one out in person, rather than trusting to buying one online from AMS or Sweetwater or wherever - I live in a fairly rural location, so that's a nuisance. Some people seem to say they just need a really thorough set-up, other people seem to criticize sloppy workmanship that's too much to stomach. What problems have you encountered with them?

The Epi bolt-ons from the 1990s with the "Crafted in Korea" neck plates were particularly horrible; I know, I had one, and it was junk.

I've read the very mixed reviews of the Firebird Ts. That's a shame. If I go that route I'll have to seek one out in person, rather than trusting to buying one online from AMS or Sweetwater or wherever - I live in a fairly rural location, so that's a nuisance. Some people seem to say they just need a really thorough set-up, other people seem to criticize sloppy workmanship that's too much to stomach. What problems have you encountered with them?

Awful setups on every one I've seen so far. Not that I can't figure out if it is worth buying and setting up, just haven't had the inclination to give it that much energy, and I kinda think I shouldn't have to. It's just a guitar, should be at least two or three out there that are pretty good right away, but that hasn't been my luck. Nice paint, nice fit and finish on most all of them, nothing glaring, just poor playing guitars.

rct

Archived