Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster

Ledbelly

I saw one of these on an old video of Dave Edmunds and it was love at first sight (with the guitar ok?).

Did some research and found one for sale for £12,000, so decided not to bother!

Anyway, a mad scheme started forming in my head, how about converting an Epi Broadway.

The Broadway looks to be the closest, body wise?

Has anybody got any thoughts? Or has anybody done this?

post-74148-034806400 1471343367_thumb.jpg

I saw one of these on an old video of Dave Edmunds and it was love at first sight (with the guitar ok?).

Did some research and found one for sale for £12,000, so decided not to bother!

Anyway, a mad scheme started forming in my head, how about converting an Epi Broadway.

The Broadway looks to be the closest, body wise?

Has anybody got any thoughts? Or has anybody done this?

Look for an Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe. It wouldn't take much work to get it there. I sold one about 6 months ago, that I'd replaced the single tone switch, with a Vari-tone and upgraded the P-90s. It sounded great for anything from Jazz to Rock. Mine had a used stamp on the back of the headstock, but two prominent, local luthiers could find no reason for the stamp. They are getting a little harder to find these days, but if you are patient, you should be able to, and for less than $1000. Great guitars.

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

You might also look for a used Carlo Robelli ES-500. Made in the Peerless Factory (which also made the Zephyr Blues Deluxe) but with better electronics and a Bigsby standard. I dig mine like, the most!

RobellES500.jpg

Peerless also makes the Wizard --- a thinner-bodied ES-5 with wooden tailpiece --- in both 3 P-90 and 3 humbucker versions.

peerlessw-1381794456-27081.jpg

14053-desktop.jpg

I went nuts, for about two months, looking for one of these. If you are in a hurry, it'll be tough. Do a few searches, keep an eye on eBay. While I was selling mine, there were two on there, in the $800-850 range (about what mine sold for, for which I paid $575). I would have kept it, but my buddy was relentless in wanting it. They come around, just be patient. Sweet guitar, though. I almost put a set of Dearmond gold foils on it, glad I didn't. They ended up on a '62 reissue Sorrento instead, which the ZBD financed ( with a little left over). Whenever I miss the ZBD, I pick it up, and things are all better. Fun guitar.

sorrento%20011_zpsisr3dr05.jpg

sorrento%20020_zps8zkukghh.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived