Gibson Brands Forums

les paul standard looking for bluesy amp

vardavas1

there are better options, especially from fender.

depending on budget, the Blues Junior would be a good choice, but they are a bit on the pricey side.

if you want something very versatile, look at a Mustang III, it's a modeling amp, and does quite a lot of stuff, with DSP effects built right in..

I have 2 of these, and I like them a lot but,, there's a wee bit of a learning curve.

the champ X2 is a good choice too, a tube amp with some modernized feature sets.

What are you going to use it for?

If it's for gigging, then I agree - save up for a Blues Jr.

If it's just for home use, then, honestly, those little Yamahas THR10c amps are about as good as anything I ever heard for nice blues tones at low volumes:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/amps/thr/thr10c/

D9672568-F541-4CC7-82D6-C5959BB09A1A_zps62srwdza.jpg

You can turn off the cheesy orange glow, by the way, with the software.

They go for $300 new; you'll pick one up in mint or excellent condition, used, for $200 or so on ebay or Reverb.

If you're looking for something bigger than a practice amp, but less than a gigging amp, there are lots of options available. Those 20W Peavey Windor combos always got good reviews, and there are probably quite a few floating around on the used market. Or, if you really want Fender, look for a used Superchamp XD.

You can spend your budget better than on the Champion 40 you mentioned.

I have a Champion 40 and an Epi LP Standard. I used it for band practice on Monday night and it rocks my boat. Perfect for blues and loud enough to keep up with drums, bass and two other electric guitarists.

Very underrated amp in my opinion. I have other amps but they're too darned heavy. I bought the Champion because it only weighs 19 pounds. Use the Fender two button footswitch with it and you have a two channel grab and go solution for rehearsal and small to medium gigs. It also takes effects pedals well.

Hey, vardavas1! I think that for almost any sound you can't go wrong with a Music Man. I have an RD112 50( 50 watts with a single 12"- tube/solid state hybrid) from the mid '80's and it's fantastic! I use it at all my gigs and it has never let me down. Some folks dislike the distortion sound but, that's a matter of opinion. Personally, I like it. Much growl! Not for metal, however. Look on eBay. They can be a bit pricey but, if you get a good one(as little rust and wear as possible), I think you'll like it. Good Luck!

I love my Epi Blues Custom 30 but I know a lot of people don't think much of them.

It's all valve of course and has a really bluesy tone to it and very loud.

The only real problem is the weight, I'm talking H E A V Y!!

There are a couple of demos on youtube if you haven't heard one.

Archived