Gibson Brands Forums

Amp for Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro

BeastOfBourbon

Hi all,

New to the group, so any help is appreciated. I'll try to be as descriptive as possible... I'm an acoustic player mainly, and just bought a Epi Les Paul Standard PRO in an effort to be more versatile in my music. Now I need an amp to power behind it, and I was looking for some recommendations. I know the Marshall to LP is a classic combo, and apparently Vox is just as good... I'm a rhythm player strictly, (no lead at all) and I play mainly rock/pop rock (think Toad the Wet Sprocket, Gin Blossoms, Counting Crows, Goo Goo Dolls mixed with modern rock like The Script, OAR, The Frey). I really don't go for that classic rock sound... not a fan. I like clean open chords for verse and the potential to get some distortion (not major overdrive) on the chorus when needed through power chords or bar chords. At times, theres a potential to get a little blues influence in there, almost like a John Mayer type of style. My budget is a kicker... I'm looking to spend under $150, and more than likely will be looking for used amps on Craigslist in an effort to get a better amp for a good price. I don't really have any stores near me that have a ton of amps that I can just spend the day plugging around and hearing different types. Also, I will be using this amp for our band's practices and gigging.

Here's a video of a demo that pretty much sold me on the guitar. This is exactly the type of sound that I'm looking for when I say "clean".

starting at 1:41 through 2:48. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Archived