Gibson Brands Forums

Japanese import - spring sprung.

Guest Farnsbarns

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

The situation here is that it is covered by CITES and I'm told un-grafted shishigashira can no longer be imported.

Bonsai importers take huge risks. One bug or one error in a tree description and they burn your entire container load and charge you $400 an hour to do it. Then they have to be quarantined and since they would die, the importer has to become his own licensed quarantiner so he can keep them alive and quarantine at the same time.

It makes your rosewood fretboard concerns seem silly when you think.

Guest Farnsbarns

I never knew a Bonsai tree turned red. So gorgeous now that I saw it! Thanks for Sharing it.

Bonsai trees just do whatever that species of tree does. Same tree. The miniaturising is man-made, not genetic.

Let's write some blues about the life of a bonsai importer!

Funnily enough my first reaction was sympathy for the poor bloody trees!

But yes; CITES is an essential but immensely complicated control to enforce - from both sides of the equation.

Pip.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Farnsbarns

Hmmmm. Feeling a little silly. Unlike any Japanese maple I've ever known it seems these come out with completely green leaves. Just the slightest hint of red for the first day, a hair thin edge in each leaf.

Anyway...

IMG_20170401_110252.jpg?raw=1

• 1 year later...
....Just the slightest hint of red for the first day, a hair thin edge in each leaf.....

Thread necromancy alert.

I hope your bonsai is doing well, Farns (and you as well - I see you're not real active on the boards lately).

I always loved that bonsai, but I went for a grove... of full size trees! They are really big.... and spectacular! Recently bought this house that's basically in the middle of a forest. Nice lake views, too....

hop662-2.jpg

hop793.jpg

Thread necromancy alert.

I hope your bonsai is doing well, Farns (and you as well - I see you're not real active on the boards lately).

I always loved that bonsai, but I went for a grove... of full size trees! They are really big.... and spectacular! Recently bought this house that's basically in the middle of a forest. Nice lake views, too....

hop662-2.jpg

hop793.jpg

Looks beautiful! You in NorCal?

Archived