Gibson Brands Forums

Nashville strung

Donal Óg

Hallo all, this is my first post here.

I have an AJ-30 that I have restrung to Nashville high. It sounds really good, but because there's a lot less tension exerted by the strings now, I'm wondering if further down the line I'll get any trouble with the neck.

Also would it be advisable to get replacement nut and saddle, it's probably going to be permanently restrung this way.

Would be grateful for any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

I have an AJ-30 that I have restrung to Nashville high. It sounds really good, but because there's a lot less tension exerted by the strings now, I'm wondering if further down the line I'll get any trouble with the neck.

Also would it be advisable to get replacement nut and saddle, it's probably going to be permanently restrung this way.

Thanks in advance.

First I have to ask-what is Nashville high? I guess I've been under a rock or something but I dunno.

I have had two guitars over the years set to 'high-strung' or 'Nashville strung' configuration.

This is to say, the bottom strings (the G, B, and E) are normal, un-wound strings.

And the top three strings, E, A, and D (normally thicker and wound) are also light-gauge, un-wound strings.

High-strung guitars add a really cool, shimmering, spangly-jangly sound when recording backing tracks lightly over a normal guitar in the lead tracks.

I must confess that I have had no problems at all with the two guitars in question, re; their neck straightness or tension.

They are:

* A 1986 Kramer Ferrington

and

* My old 1976 Epiphone FT-120

It's a really neat way to put a stand-by guitar to good use.

Worth trying, just for the interesting sounds you can get out of it.

:)

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to this nice place in the web. [thumbup]

With appropriate string gauges, the tension will be like that of standard tuning. For instance, using the octave strings of a 12-string set instead of 6th to 3rd standard strings will do the trick. However, if you tend to play heavier gauges than usually sold for 12-string guitars and also not want to discard the standard strings, it could be best to put your own set together from strings sold separately.

A new nut and perhaps, but less likely, a new saddle could be useful though.

I have had two guitars over the years set to 'high-strung' or 'Nashville strung' configuration.

This is to say, the bottom strings (the G, B, and E) are normal, un-wound strings.

And the top three strings, E, A, and D (normally thicker and wound) are also light-gauge, un-wound strings.

High-strung guitars add a really cool, shimmering, spangly-jangly sound when recording backing tracks lightly over a normal guitar in the lead tracks.

I must confess that I have had no problems at all with the two guitars in question, re; their neck straightness or tension.

They are:

* A 1986 Kramer Ferrington

and

* My old 1976 Epiphone FT-120

It's a really neat way to put a stand-by guitar to good use.

Worth trying, just for the interesting sounds you can get out of it.

:)

Sorry, but your denomination may cause misconceptions. Usually E6th, A5th, and D4th are called bottom strings, G3rd, B2nd and E1st top strings. This is based on standard tuning pitches, not geometry.

To my information Nashville high uses a G3rd octave string, too, not the standard string. Strings are tuned from bottom to top E3, A3, D4, G4, B3, and E4. Of course you may leave the standard G string there if you like, producing E3, A3, D4, G3, B3, and E4. Don't know what this tuning would be named though.

Hi all

Thanks for the warm welcome, and the good advice.

Just to clarify Nashville High is tuning the four lowest strings, E-A-D-G, an octave higher than normal and leaving the two high strings, B-E, in their normal tuning, leaving the G string at its normal tuning is referred to as just High Strung, I think.

Actually I am using drop D tuning so the lowest string is actually tuned to D.

I'm using D'Addario Nashville strings

E - 010

B - 014

G - 009

D - 012

A - 018

E - 027

The action on the AJ-30 was always a bit on the high side to my mind when I played it with medium lights which is why I was wondering about a new saddle, but I've not a clue how expensive this would be.

Archived