Gibson Brands Forums

Help dating a '70 deluxe les paul

Alapraline

Hello !

My english is very poor please forgive me...

I try to have the real dating on a Les Paul Deluxe gold top

Selial: 906###

No : Made in USA

No dot on the i (logo)

open "b" and "o"

No "Gibson" on the mini humbucker

Small volute

Large peghead

Silkscreen "Les paul model"

Pot # 13770## (so it is 1970)

with pancake body

Anybody can help me because there is a big change of price if it is 1970 or 1972

Thank's

[rolleyes]

Hello !

My english is very poor please forgive me...

I try to have the real dating on a Les Paul Deluxe gold top

Selial: 906###

No : Made in USA

No dot on the i (logo)

open "b" and "o"

No "Gibson" on the mini humbucker

Small volute

Large peghead

Silkscreen "Les paul model"

Pot # 13770## (so it is 1970)

with pancake body

Anybody can help me because there is a big change of price if it is 1970 or 1972

Thank's

[rolleyes]

Sadly, by just that partial serial number, the best I can find is that your Deluxe was made sometime between 1970 and 1972.

If indeed the potentiometer is dateable to 1970, that might lead us to believe that the guitar was pushed out of the factory in 1970 or 1971, but there's no guarantee of that, depending upon how much bench stock they had laying around.

I myself owned a 1971-ish Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold top, many years ago.

I miss that guitar!!

[unsure]

Shouldn't a pot code from the 70s be longer? If it was 7 digits, the last two digits indicate the week the were made. If it was, for example, week 11, the year of guitar manufacture would most likely be 1970. If the week was, for example, 45 the pot may not have been installed into a guitar until 1971. At any rate, as you mentioned, the earliest year would be 1970.

Another factor is the “Les Paul” signature and “Model” inscription on the headstock - in mid-1972 that inscription was changed from a silkscreen to a decal. What is yours? If it's a decal, the guitar is from 1972.

... the last two digits indicate the week the were made. If it was, for example, week 11, the year of guitar manufacture would most likely be 1970. If the week was, for example, 45 the pot may not have been installed into a guitar until 1971.

Yes, the last twp digits of the pot code are very important to this inquiry.

Were they withheld because of privacy or solder?

Shouldn't a pot code from the 70s be longer? If it was 7 digits, the last two digits indicate the week the were made. If it was, for example, week 11, the year of guitar manufacture would most likely be 1970. If the week was, for example, 45 the pot may not have been installed into a guitar until 1971. At any rate, as you mentioned, the earliest year would be 1970.

Another factor is the “Les Paul” signature and “Model” inscription on the headstock - in mid-1972 that inscription was changed from a silkscreen to a decal. What is yours? If it's a decal, the guitar is from 1972.

Hi! :)

yes the pot code is longer, actualy I can read 137701 but after that it is unreadable could be a 0 or 6 or 8... I just see the lower part of the number

I think it is a silkscreen technic for the “Les Paul” "Model" (it looks like paint, do you know how to verify for sure?)

And it has Gibson Deluxe "tulip" Double Line, Double Ring Keystone Tuners

What about the open "o" and "b" and no dot on the "i"???

I see so many LP Deluxe Goldtop '70 but they have dot on "i" so i wonder... [confused]

if it is not a very early 70 like March 1970 ? (10th week)

Sadly, by just that partial serial number, the best I can find is that your Deluxe was made sometime between 1970 and 1972.

If indeed the potentiometer is dateable to 1970, that might lead us to believe that the guitar was pushed out of the factory in 1970 or 1971, but there's no guarantee of that, depending upon how much bench stock they had laying around.

I myself owned a 1971-ish Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold top, many years ago.

I miss that guitar!!

[unsure]

Even with the full code it dosen't say any better than from 1970 to 1972

Pot code 10th-19th week of 1970.

Late 60's style logo.

No "Made In USA"

Small "volute"

Wide headstock

No "Gibson" on pickups.

All these attributes fit an early-mid 1970 Deluxe.

By late 1970, three of the above characteristics had changed.

Pot code 10th-19th week of 1970.

Late 60's style logo.

No "Made In USA"

Small "volute"

Wide headstock

No "Gibson" on pickups.

All these attributes fit an early-mid 1970 Deluxe.

By late 1970, three of the above characteristics had changed.

OH! [thumbup] Thank's very much !

The byer try to tell me it is a late 72

What are the 3 characteristics that changes?

...The byer try to tell me it is a late 72

What are the 3 characteristics that changes?

You simply need two pieces of evidence to prove the 1970 build date:

1. Pot codes - The guitar could not have been built before the 10th week of 1970.

2. No "Made In USA" stamp - As it is universally accepted that by the end of 1970 ALL Gibson guitars had the "Made In USA" stamp, the guitar could not have been built after 1970.

Other details that were changing in the early 70's were the headstock logo. It went from the one shown in your photo, then to one that included the "i" dot and closed "b" and "o", and then without the "i" dot with closed "b" and "o". The earliest "volutes" were smaller, and it's size and definition gradually increased through the mid-70's. Also late in 1970 Gibson started embossing/stamping/molding their logo onto their pickups, another trait your guitar does not have.

The information above has been "published" in numerous books and guides.

You simply need two pieces of evidence to prove the 1970 build date:

1. Pot codes - The guitar could not have been built before the 10th week of 1970.

2. No "Made In USA" stamp - As it is universally accepted that by the end of 1970 ALL Gibson guitars had the "Made In USA" stamp, the guitar could not have been built after 1970.

Other details that were changing in the early 70's were the headstock logo. It went from the one shown in your photo, then to one that included the "i" dot and closed "b" and "o", and then without the "i" dot with closed "b" and "o". The earliest "volutes" were smaller, and it's size and definition gradually increased through the mid-70's. Also late in 1970 Gibson started embossing/stamping/molding their logo onto their pickups, another trait your guitar does not have.

The information above has been "published" in numerous books and guides.

I realy appreciate all the information you are giving me.I don't have the books and guides and the few I tryed to read on the web I had to pay for more info...

I am not very in to that type of spécification, I learned a lot in the last few days. (juste the name of things...)

That guitare is in good shape (no break, no reapare) plays realy good, what would be the value ?

Here is the volute juste make sure :

post-80215-013734200 1471903400_thumb.jpeg

That's the smallest "volute" I've ever seen.

Mid-range value of that guitar should be somewhere around $2000 U.S., maybe a little more for a pristine Goldtop.

#-o

I don't understand how come this one exactly the same (even more used)on Ebay is for $ 8.000 ???

What is the thing???

:-k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Gibson-Les-Paul-Deluxe-Goldtop-GIE0264-/331716722577?hash=item4d3bdb7f91

#-o

I don't understand how come this one exactly the same (even more used)on Ebay is for $ 8.000 ???

What is the thing???

Do they sell for that money? No, they do not go for much cheaper, either!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/original-1973-Gibson-Les-Paul-Deluxe-CHERRY-SUNBURST/131911872830?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38619%26meid%3Ddf6ef842a0f54af1a2db74f90c73a5d6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D371712369043

Bence.

Well this is a 73 CHERRY SUNBURST.

I am talking about à Goldtop spring 1970, not 71 with the logo 69 on the peghead

Well this is a 73 CHERRY SUNBURST.

I am talking about à Goldtop spring 1970, not 71 with the logo 69 on the peghead

Hello!

Unfortunately, that doesn't makes any difference.

These instruments were made in huge quantities, and the Deluxe was the entry-level Les Paul back then. Just like a Studio today.

Bence.

Hello!

Unfortunately, that doesn't makes any difference.

These instruments were made in huge quantities, and the Deluxe was the entry-level Les Paul back then. Just like a Studio today.

Bence.

Well i get so many different reply on the subject I don't know when i will stop... [blink]

If i go "by the book" (i think the "blue" or mabe the "gary" or something like it) it said : add 30% value on goldtop"

And the price between à 70 and a 72 double... that is what the book says

On Ebay it is even more obvious...

I am waitting for Gibson to reply ...

I gess it depend on how much you love the guitare too...

:rolleyes:

Thank's

#-o

What is the thing???

"Asking" prices" do not necessarily equal "selling prices". Anyone, including you, can ask any price they want. That doesn't mean someone is willing to pay that amount. "Asking" prices are useless for determining market value.

"Market Value", is determined by what like items actually sell for. E-bay is a good place to get an idea of prices, but you must refine your search to "Sold Listings", not current auctions, or even "Completed Listings".

On the other end of the spectrum, here's one that actually sold for $1200 U.S.:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970-Gibson-Les-Paul-Deluxe-/141999962283?hash=item210fdb78ab:g:6s0AAOSwrnNXP9or

Ok... hope i don't abuse here...

That is ok, if you think it's not worth more than that...

yes I understand the asking price is not the selling price, and it can be ridiculous.

I went for the the highest just to show the range of expectation ("Asking" prices").

But basically it seems more or less around $4500 "Asking" prices"

Spring 1970 : No : made in USA, Goldtop, humbucker etc... etc.. open "b" open"o" no dot on "i"

like this one :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-EARLY-1970-GIBSON-Les-Paul-Deluxe-GOLDTOP-NO-Breaks-or-Made-in-USA-Stamp/322227290452?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38619%26meid%3D9e25a3cc8c2f4615b9fbf11ccda049e9%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D141999962283

No problem

[thumbup]

...If i go "by the book" ... it said : add 30% value on goldtop"...And the price between à 70 and a 72 double... that is what the book says...

Well, I don't know where the 'Book' gets it's information but the reality is that a 1970 fetches just about the same as any other early '70s DeLuxe.

Have a good look through this bunch of DeLuxes currently for sale. You'll see the 1970 examples are priced just about the same as the rest;

https://reverb.com/u...omparison-table

...and remember that these are still just asking prices; not selling prices...

Pip.

Well, I don't know where the 'Book' gets it's information but the reality is that a 1970 fetches just about the same as any other early '70s DeLuxe.

Have a good look through this bunch of DeLuxes currently for sale. You'll see the 1970 examples are priced just about the same as the rest;

https://reverb.com/u...omparison-table

...and remember that these are still just asking prices; not selling prices...

Pip.

I went to a store to have it evaluate and they had the "bluebook" and an other one... sorry I don't remeber the name.

I was just on Reverb, and that is what i found for mid price:

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/1147-gibson-les-paul-deluxe-1970-goldtop

then ok they are all about same price (but not the same used state, some have been broken etc... )

The one who is a 1970 (suposed) at the same price had a broken neck, eraced code number etc..etc.. and still asking for 3000...

And it is rare to find one just like I try to evaluate, because it has characteristics that shows a late 69 body, peghead, logo, volute, spring 1970 pots. no break all vintage. Many off them say '70 but in fact it is later than 1970, usaly 72 73 and it may not make any difference to that point, there there where no changes after mid 1971-72.

It has changed from 1969-1970 it is a transition time.

But I understand that it all depend off the offer/asking market anyway...

Thank's for all your comments

I might change my mind and keep it

:)

Archived