Gibson Brands Forums

Which one to buy???

1BADVETTE

I would just like an opinion.....

Gibson LP Supreme (Flame Top) OR Gibson LP Class 5 (Quilt Top)

Both look great.

The Supreme is $100 more. I am looking at both and I am trying to decide which one I want to buy.

Which one would you buy and why????

Thanks in advance.

Ha... (what a dilemma to have :))

Well id say the most obvious thing first... Its how they play and sound that matters most... So go play both and see which you think plays and sounds better.... Also it never hurts to ask if they have another of the same model in stock and try that too.. The differences between guitars that are even the same model and year can be big sometimes, the difference between good or just ok and perfect for you...

On a side note.. To me the Supremes are WAY WAY too blingy... let alone having the word Supreme on the headstock in huge letters.. Its just all way too much for me.. But if you like that (and plenty do) then that's cool too. Each to their own :)

What colour are you thinking about?? (or should I say colours :))

Ha... (what a dilemma to have :))

Well id say the most obvious thing first... Its how they play and sound that matters most... So go play both and see which you think plays and sounds better.... Also it never hurts to ask if they have another of the same model in stock and try that too.. The differences between guitars that are even the same model and year can be big sometimes, the difference between good or just ok and perfect for you...

On a side note.. To me the Supremes are WAY WAY too blingy... let alone having the word Supreme on the headstock in huge letters.. Its just all way too much for me.. But if you like that (and plenty do) then that's cool too. Each to their own :)

What colour are you thinking about?? (or should I say colours :))

These are the ones I am lookin at.

Supreme

Gibson LP Class 5

Well actually as Supremes go, that one isn't too garish..

But it would still be the Class 5 for me (just based on looks)..

I would still say though the only way to really know is to play them both.. Buying online say (and I know not everyone has the choice), is always a bit hit and miss as you don't know if you will like the neck shape and pickups.....

Im sure both are great guitars....

Well actually as Supremes go, that one isn't too garish..

But it would still be the Class 5 for me (just based on looks)..

I would still say though the only way to really know is to play them both.. Buying online say (and I know not everyone has the choice), is always a bit hit and miss as you don't know if you will like the neck shape and pickups.....

Im sure both are great guitars....

I can't stand going into the store and buying one off the wall or rack that everyone has handled. I mean, some people just don't care if it gets a scratch or banged up a little. Anyway, the only LP I have is a LP Studio Deluxe 2 and I bought it in the store. I sat down and played it unplugged. I fell in love with the guitar and I had to have it. Believe me, I looked it up and down for any kind of marks before I bought it. I got lucky because it didn't have any.

LP 1

LP 2

Ohh that's a nice studio [thumbup]

And well that's what I mean.. Its only by playing them that you know... honestly, if you have the chance to play them first do it.. You will (as you knew with your studio) know instantly which one you like best, and it will be regardless of looks... Its the ONLY real way to know.. (and also why I say ask if they have any more of the same model in the back cos two of the same guitars can feel quite different).

Let us know what you decide on and of course come back and post some pics [thumbup]

Ohh that's a nice studio [thumbup]

And well that's what I mean.. Its only by playing them that you know... honestly, if you have the chance to play them first do it.. You will (as you knew with your studio) know instantly which one you like best, and it will be regardless of looks... Its the ONLY real way to know.. (and also why I say ask if they have any more of the same model in the back cos two of the same guitars can feel quite different).

Let us know what you decide on and of course come back and post some pics [thumbup]

Here is a quick question.... Which one of these will be more valuable later. I mean after I have passed it on to my son and maybe he passes it on to his. Supreme or Class 5 ???

Quite a choice but I favour the Supreme which I think may be more like a LP Custom with that board.

Check the spec for both if weight relief is something that might sway you one way or another....you know what they say +:-@[lol]

I'm with Rabs on this one.

I like the Class 5 better.

But then again, I don't care for gold hardware in general, let alone that gold hardware on the Supreme.

It never wears nicely, and usually looks faded and unattractive just a few years later.

I have tried the gold, and always found it lacking after a certain period of time.

All my guitars, by and large now, have chrome or pewter (silver) hardware.

Here is a quick question.... Which one of these will be more valuable later. I mean after I have passed it on to my son and maybe he passes it on to his. Supreme or Class 5 ???

Well id say that the Class 5 is more of a "classic" looking Gibson... Its more of what people like and expect.... the Supreme is a bit more hit and miss taste wise.

The good thing about most Gibsons is they hold their price... Certain models, maybe a limited run or something can be worth more (in many years time when theres only a few left) but its kind of hard to tell which ones that will be (if I knew that id be rich by now :))... But generally, so many guitars are made these days that investment wise nothing made today is ever going to be worth what the famous 50s Gibsons are worth.... Maybe the day Gibson shut, then it will be worth more :)

So id say don't worry about that side of things... MOST important is it has to play well and sound good...

Quite a choice but I favour the Supreme which I think may be more like a LP Custom with that board.

Check the spec for both if weight relief is something that might sway you one way or another....you know what they say +:-@[lol]

Ohh yes, and that Supreme is a chambered guitar...

Id imagine the Class 5 is traditional weight relief.

Well the only other option is a new one. I was looking at this Gibson before I got side tracked on these.

Gibson Limited Edition

I really like this one too. Plain and Simple yet Classic looking.

That's this one isn't it http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Standard-Mahogany-Top.aspx

And YES YES YES... that would be my choice for sure of what you have shown me so far.

Yep ..... That would be the one.

Yes.. very nice.. and an unusual Mahogany top.. very cool to my eyes...

How about a Double Cut Standard... They are awesome and they don't make too many double cuts

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Standard-Double-Cutaway-Limited.aspx#LPDC16WRCH1

These new LP Special Plus guitars are REAL nice too

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Special-Plus-Limited.aspx

Yes.. very nice.. and an unusual Mahogany top.. very cool to my eyes...

How about a Double Cut Standard... They are awesome and they don't make too many double cuts

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Standard-Double-Cutaway-Limited.aspx#LPDC16WRCH1

These new LP Special Plus guitars are REAL nice too

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Special-Plus-Limited.aspx

I like them all but I really just want a very nice Gibson LP. Its really just between these 3. I have always wanted a Standard or something just a little more than a Standard.

I like them all but I really just want a very nice Gibson LP. Its really just between these 3. I have always wanted a Standard or something just a little more than a Standard.

Well the main concerns really are, what neck size do you like (chunky or slim) and what sort of sound you want..

Some pickups are hotter than others.. Some more mellow...

That should be a big factor and can help you narrow down your choices a bit.... What about a 2016 Standard or Traditional T then, they have all sorts of colours. And they really are what most people think of as a classic looking LP

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx#LPNSTDPFBCH1

Well the main concerns really are, what neck size do you like (chunky or slim) and what sort of sound you want..

Some pickups are hotter than others.. Some more mellow...

That should be a big factor and can help you narrow down your choices a bit.... What about a 2016 Standard or Traditional T then, they have all sorts of colours. And they really are what most people think of as a classic looking LP

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx#LPNSTDPFBCH1

60's profile neck and pickups a little on the hot side.

Hmm, id say that Mahogany topped one is probably a good bet for you then... It has the slim 60s neck.. And the Standard T has a slim asymmetrical neck where its slightly thicker on the low E end and tapers down a bit too the high E.

Hmm, id say that Mahogany topped one is probably a good bet for you then... It has the slim 60s neck.. And the Standard T has a slim asymmetrical neck where its slightly thicker on the low E end and tapers down a bit too the high E.

Cool. and Thanks. I will let ya'll know what I decide.

Based on your wants for 60's neck and hotter pick ups, I'd have to agree with Rabs that of the three younare considering the Std mahogany top is your best bet, of the three it should have the slimmest neck and the hottest pick ups.

Good luck

Johnny

I would just like an opinion.....

Gibson LP Supreme (Flame Top) OR Gibson LP Class 5 (Quilt Top)

Both look great.

The Supreme is $100 more. I am looking at both and I am trying to decide which one I want to buy.

Which one would you buy and why????

Thanks in advance.

Tone and playability, you got to try them out I literally played over 100 Les Pauls before I found one that I could live with.

Their poor quality control over the years you have to play it in person, strings falling off the fretboard dead frets broken push pull pots, over cut grooves in the nut, How the neck feels the weight of the guitar affects the tone, you can't make a decision by a picture.

And I'm sure they have different pickups 57 classic versus a 498T, those are very important buckets. Leaving the guitar in stock condition is one of the things help them keep their value.

I agree with everybody you have to play it to fall in love with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I wound up buying a ......

Gibson Les Paul Standard Mahogany Limited Edition.

I really like it a lot. I picked it up, let it sit on a guitar stand for a while to get adjusted to room temp, and then I checked the setup. I'm happy to say that no adjustments are needed so far. My only complaint is the nut on the neck. Gibson really has a Quality Control issue. I will post some pics and ya'll can tell me what you think. Anyway, I will be making a bone nut for this guitar to replace the one Gibson goofed up. I can do luthier work and making a nut is no problem. I'm just a little upset that an instrument that cost this much has flaws right out of the case. Oh well .... can't win them all.

Archived