Gibson Brands Forums

Street price for new Hummingbird?

SC_Wannabe

I asked this question in another thread and got some street prices for the UK, but what is the US street price for a new 2016 Hummingbird?

For Martin, there are several online dealers that will sell at 60% of (or 40% off) list price. Smaller shops will give some discount off the minimum advertised price (MAP), but the discount ranges from shop to shop.

Is there a rule of thumb like this for larger and smaller Gibson retailers?

When the new birds were $3,099 in the shop (I think they may be $3,299 now), two years ago, I bought it for $2,650

Just as a reference for you. I think now $2800 gets you the Bird. Best thing is to call Wildwood or someone like EM Shorts or Fuller's. They will tell you right over the phone.

I am not aware of any dealers in my area giving 40-60% off any Martins much less a HBird, if I could find one of the Birds for that much off I probably would own one by now.

Kelly,

For a Martin, pick your desired model and email or call Maurys Music. They will email you a link to the 40% off price, which after you click on it will add it to your cart at the cheaper price.

For example, a Martin D18 that lists for $3,099, and is advertised at $2,459 everywhere from Sweetwater to Guitar Center, once you email Maury you will buy it for 60% of $3,099 - or $1,859 no tax and free shipping.

Thanks Sal, I'll call around. The only bird my local shop has right now is a blackbird, and I didn't care for the looks or sound of it.

Regarding the Martin pricing...

"60% of" = "40% off"

I always calculate "60% of". It's much easier for me to calculate the discount price by multiplying the list price by 0.6, than to multiply by 0.4 and then subtract it again from list.

Kelly,

For a Martin, pick your desired model and email or call Maurys Music. They will email you a link to the 40% off price, which after you click on it will add it to your cart at the cheaper price.

For example, a Martin D18 that lists for $3,099, and is advertised at $2,459 everywhere from Sweetwater to Guitar Center, once you email Maury you will buy it for 60% of $3,099 - or $1,859 no tax and free shipping.

Wow, I am not in the market right now but you know how that goes...Thanks

I've never bought from Maury, but I've bought 3 Martins from Jon at My Favorite Guitars. Each time I just called and asked for the price of whatever guitar I was interested in, and it was always 40% off list. I've always ordered over the phone. I'm guessing that emailing a blanket price quote on every Martin guitar they have may be skirting too close to the boundary of Martin's MAP agreement. I think Elderly stopped emailing Martin quotes several years ago.

Yep, Martins can still be had for a 40% discount. I don't think Martin allows them sold any cheaper than that (not by their actual dealers anyway, i.e. with warranty), but there are a handful of outlets that sell them with that kind of discount (Maury, My Favorite Guitars, LA Guitar Sales, and probably others I should not leave out but can't remember).

I've found Gibsons generally can be had for a 40% discount, too, but it seems to vary. It's never exactly 40% for some reason... and sometimes it's an even deeper discount!

So, I just figure 40% or so, and if I'm really serious, I e-mail Lance at E.M. Shorts Guitars (Wichita Band). I recommend them highly.

Thanks for the heads-up, Jesse. I'll definitely keep EM Shorts in mind when I'm ready to buy.

You're welcome! Call or e-mail--they respond fast and have fantastic service, great advice, and the best prices. I can't imagine another Gibson at this point (can't let go of any I have, so can't get any more), but I also can't imagine going through anyone but them if I were doing mail order. Lance is wonderful.

You're welcome! Call or e-mail--they respond fast and have fantastic service, great advice, and the best prices. I can't imagine another Gibson at this point (can't let go of any I have, so can't get any more), but I also can't imagine going through anyone but them if I were doing mail order. Lance is wonderful.

I spoke with Lance when I was looking at a J-15 and can confirm he's great. I didn't end up buying from EM Shorts because I found a sunburst J-15 at a different shop, but had I not found a sunburst I was ready to buy with him. Great guy and great shop.

Archived