Gibson Brands Forums

2013 LP Standard - G string always out of tune

mardukas

Guest Farnsbarns

Yes. Try a string set with a wound 3rd. Lube the nut by scribing pencil lead (graphite) into it. If necessary widen te slot.

All that said, yes, g strings are always the tricky ones.

Hello.

As said above. Lubricate the slot.

It's the result of the tension at the nut, coming from the string being forced towards the tuning head and to follow the headstock break angle at once.

Bence.

Hey all...anybody have any advice on this? The G string always goes flat. I have locking tuners. Not sure what the issue could be but it's pretty annoying. Sometimes 20 minutes into playing it's almost a tone flat. Thanks.

After you put the string on are you stretching it real good? Pull up on it and give a good tug a couple times then when you rest it back down push a few times on it between the nut and tuner to get the tension evened out on both sides of nut...i use this grease stuff my luthier friend gave me just a tad on a toothpick then the grooves on nut just a little bit. Sorry if you did this already.

Pull up on it and give a good tug a couple times then when you rest it back down push a few times on it between the nut and tuner to get the tension evened out on both sides of nut....

With new strings, stretching them SIDE TO SIDE as in big string bends and not pulling up, will put less stress on the guitar's neck.

Unless you're The Rock, you probably won't snap your guitar's neck, but why put undo stress on the neck that already has string tensions on it?

02a-lg.jpg

Dont hold it up. A couple tugs from where you pick it, (between the pickups), wont hurt the neck if you don't try to pull it off the guitar. You are also kind of helping the string get seated at the ball end which is where you should be trying to stretch it from, more so than at the tuner side. Unless you have a POS this is not going to do anything bad to it. It also helps maintain even tension on both the nut and the bridge side so it wont go out of tune as often.

With new strings, stretching them SIDE TO SIDE as in big string bends and not pulling up, will put less stress on the guitar's neck.

Unless you're The Rock, you probably won't snap your guitar's neck, but why put undo stress on the neck that already has string tensions on it?

02a-lg.jpg

Did "the rock" string up that guitar for you? You might not want to take your guitar to an ametuer, (like me and rock), in the future. (heehee) You certainly got a good point, even if I do not agree that it is "undo" stress on the neck. I think you put an equal amount of stress on it when you wind up the string. Unless you take all the strings off and start tugging real hard with the first one you put on it, then it might be stressing it too much. I always leave a string or two on, so the tension is not ever completely released.

Hello.

As said above. Lubricate the slot.

It's the result of the tension at the nut, coming from the string being forced towards the tuning head and to follow the headstock break angle at once.

Bence.

Absolutely correct, in addition the G string is the highest tension of the unwound strings 16.6 pounds, and it goes to the farthest tuning peg which pulls it down the sharpest angle bend on the nut. So it doesn't slide through the nut groove easily.

Is everyone said widen the groove and put lubrication in their.

And it's still won't be perfect

Did "the rock" string up that guitar for you? You might not want to take your guitar to an ametuer, (like me and rock), in the future. (heehee) You certainly got a good point, even if I do not agree that it is "undo" stress on the neck. I think you put an equal amount of stress on it when you wind up the string. Unless you take all the strings off and start tugging real hard with the first one you put on it, then it might be stressing it too much. I always leave a string or two on, so the tension is not ever completely released.

Oh, that's not my guitar.

Just a visual to make you think before you tug.

I personally haven't had that happen to me.

But I do know someone that it did happen to.

After which he got a new guitar, and a new guitar tech.

When necks and headstocks do break, they usually break in the direction that a neck would move if it was bent back, or pulled forward.

And not in the direction that strings are strummed or bent.

Unless of course you're purposely smashing your axe on stage.

114531d1237426960-whats-most-uncolored-guitar-splitter-pete_townshend_100.jpg

Archived