Gibson Brands Forums

Its 2017... ALREADY???

Rabs

Man that is early for 2017 [rolleyes]

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2017.aspx

Acoustic2017_LandingBanner_zpsmvbwhzft.jpg

Introducing the New Gibson Acoustic 2017 Lineup

Positioned in the heart of the Rocky Mountains in Bozeman, Montana, you’ll find our master luthiers continuing the rich tradition of Gibson Acoustic. Gibson Acoustic is proud to introduce new the 2017 product line. New offerings include guitars for the discerning vintage player and collector, as well as the modern player looking for a superior performing acoustic guitar for any playing style.

The new 2017 Gibson Acoustic High Performance guitars have one goal: to unleash the ultimate guitar player inside you. HP guitars were designed from the ground up to streamline the playing experience in a way that’s never been done before, while remaining true to the superior tone and hallowed tradition at the core of every Gibson Acoustic guitar.

Gibson’s long list of storied acoustic instruments is intertwined with some of the greatest movements in music history and sought-after by countless artists and musical performers. The world’s most famous acoustic models include the Gibson J-45, SJ-200, and Hummingbird and they are still the magic instruments that deliver an indescribable musical experience to countless players around the world.

Maybe the company works on a fiscal year-end of June 30th or something. Tell ya what though - I sure was smitten by the J-45 Vintage I played in early 2015, was not for sale because it was about to go on their new product tour. Fabulous guitar, and at the moment my guitar acquisition fund is a little light. Nuts.

Doesn't look much different from the 2016 line-up (I remember when that came out, in 2015!) other than the new HP line which sounds like printers or something.

2016 (which came out in 2015) was a big one because it had the J-45 Vintage that Dan mentioned and the Hummingbird Vintage that I bought!

I agree Jesse, at least it doesn't look like the J200 Standard has a single thing different either, including the street price.. (not that there's a problem with that!!)

If you look at the page and check out the pics, you'll get a laugh. The main photo still has the 2016 TRC, the Head stock detail photo appears to have been photo shopped where the 2016 etching was removed. "what can't take a NEW photo?? Okay then!" see for yerselfs..

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2017/SJ-200-Standard.aspx

I agree Jesse, at least it doesn't look like the J200 Standard has a single thing different either, including the street price.. (not that there's a problem with that!!)

If you look at the page and check out the pics, you'll get a laugh. The main photo still has the 2016 TRC, the Head stock detail photo appears to have been photo shopped where the 2016 etching was removed. "what can't take a NEW photo?? Okay then!" see for yerselfs..

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2017/SJ-200-Standard.aspx

You're right!! Good eye!

So I tried a couple of the HP range this weekend. The 415W and the 635W. Both are Walnut back and sides. The 415 being a slope shoulder and the 635 and square shoulder. Out of the two the 635 I thought was better. This is the one with the Richlight 'board as well, which feels fine under the fingers. Both guitars are a slimmer body than a regular Gibson acoustic. Both comfortable to play. Cutaway acoustics are not my first choice but I have to say both sounded pretty good and I was quite taken with the 635 I have to say. My guess this is Gibson aim to compete with the Taylor and Martin cutaways.

The cases are pretty nice on these HP range also.

Played the J45 cutaway as well. That sounds very nice. Looks better than I first though it would as well. It's strange being able to get upto the dusty end on an acoustic when you are not used to it!

As a comparison I tried a J45 Koa, J45 Granadillo, the J45 cutaway and a AJ Luthiers Choice. (I ddnt really like the wider, fatter neck of the AJ). The best sounding for me was the Granadillo. Honestly I think it's one of the best sounding J45's I've ever played.

Also tried a LG-2 American Eagle. Very nice also. Rings out great. Lovely tint (very Martin like) Gibson have given the top as well.

Granadillo J-45! Interesting! I wonder if it's somewhat like rosewood? I believe granadillo is what they use for the fingerboard/bridge on the SJ-100 Walnut.

It is considered one of the Rosewood family. It's used for the fingerboard on my Gary Moore Les Paul. Has a lighter shade than Rosewood. If it wasn't for the fact I have three slope shoulders already..........

Archived