Gibson Brands Forums

Stability

Buc McMaster

In one of these threads here recently there was talk of torrified tops and someone made note that perhaps the process contributed to the stability of the wood. As possible evidence of this, I have noticed that since I changed the strings on my torrified-topped Hummingbird two weeks ago I have not had to retune the guitar at all. Within a few hours the strings settled and stayed.......not had to tweak the tuning, not once. This certainly indicates good stability in the tuning bed of the instrument which may or may not be attributable to the baked top. Anyone else with a cooked guitar have similar observations?

Did you change brand of strings buc?

Just playing devils advocate .

It's not very often I have to tune either of mine

Maybe a slight tweak but elixir strings I've noticed stay in tune better than any others I've tried

But then we don't know which of the many factors involved are what's actually changing things and which are placebos

I'm not arguing here , and don't have a fortified top. So am not qualified to speak really .

Quite Possible. I know my banner 43' LG-2 rarely needs to be retuned. Only after there has been massive changes in humidity, but even then just minor tweaks. That guitar is rock solid in all respects, and doesnt even have a trust rod !

I agree with bbg, I very rarely have to more than tweak tune any of my guitars. The one that I have with the torrified top doesn't seem to be any different than the ones without. And, again like bbg, I use Elixirs on all my acoustics.

Aside from what I've read in guitar forums and the experience of playing one guitar with a torrified top, I have no idea on the strength of the guitar's top, etc. If the humidity levels are consistent, I have guitars that stay in-tune for weeks just hanging on the wall. I imagine we've all had guitars in a case for a couple months, then you take them out to tune and play and find they are literally "right on the mark" as far as tuning goes. I think the terrified tops are very interesting as another possible attribute a guitar might have. Are they better sounding, stronger, more flexible, and so on, I don't know. Almost everything about a guitar is pretty subjective. If we like it, it's a great guitar (I've even got a couple of "great" cheap guitars). If we don't like it, it's not great, regardless of the brand name or cost. From what I've heard of Buc's Hummingbird, I'd say it was "a keeper." You find good ones and bad ones and mediocre ones. Then, every-now-and-then you find a great one that becomes part of you. [thumbup]

uhm not sure, jury still out I suppose.

example 1, my '16 SJ200. not torrified, yet rarely needs to be tuned, and I always check, and I play this one EVERY DAY.,, whether it needs it or not..

example 2, my '05 taylor GS... honestly this thing has been neglected, sitting in it's case for months. I've probably touched it 2 or 3 times since I bought the SJ200. I took it out for some air this weekend,, I grabbed my (new and coolish) Snark tuner on it, and dang if that sucker wasn't still in tune. I changed the strings (that one has Elixr nano PB always) just a few days before I let it hibernate...

speaking of strings... (no, I am not starting another string thread!) I went back to Masterbuilts Premiums on my SJ200 (from Nanoweb PBs) lights,, 12 gauge..

conclusion: those really are a better choice of string set for that guitar.

Been thinking about this , if a guitar is well made, well set up and constructed out of well seasoned wood it's stability should be spot on , leaving humidity and weather aside. The neck stability would affect the need for retuning as well as the top . My acoustics when played around the house rarely need retuning .Just a thought

Even my Carbon Fiber Rainsong needs tuning on a regular basis, including within a playing session. Guitar construction aside, the strings are metal, and they expand and contract with temperature changes.

How did all of our reasonably well made guitars stay in tune all these decades without Torrified tops???

rct

I'm not sure, but I like your question a lot! For now, I'm taking care not to speak of the matter within earshot of my well-behaved, non-torrified guitars lest they sink into a state of untuned and rebellious chaos. The horror - the horror....

Archived