Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar for sale ... what's opinion?

blindboygrunt

I'm not the guy to ask, as I'm anti-ladderbrace. But these are trending just under a thousand bucks in the marketplace. Also, LG1's are plentiful and quite available, despite the seller's comment about rarity.

Not really a rare guitar, but a good vintage. Ladder bracing has limitations, but some of the older examples are very sweet-sounding. Versatility isn't as wide with ladder bracing, but they can be excellent for blues and vocal accompaniment and just playing around home. Some can be bassy, some not, but bassy examples fit well with old-time string band music where you're not obliged to compete for loud volume. Coming from the 1950's, the neck is likely substantial - a plus to me, but not for everyone. If the pickguard is original, the guitar may be from the later 1950's. If not, you might ask why it was changed. I've seen them go lately for $900 to $1500.

A six digit serial number stamped in the back of the headstock and the bridge indicate a guitar built in the 1960s.

True. If I'm reading the SN correctly as 283901 the dater project site says:

"This result is a match only if the serial number is impressed on headstock and stamped on headstock

Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo Plant, MI, USA

in 1965

Production Number: 283901"

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

I've found that even LG1s have been sneaking past the 1K mark to 1200-1500. With vintage LG2 (not the current LG2/AE) running over 2K and often towards 3K and over. A natural top LG3 MIGHT be found for $1800 but mostly over 2K.

Personally, I like my ladder braced '66 LG1 and others who play guitar but aren't schooled in bracings picked it as a blast to play.

Best deals I've seen for vintage X-braced have been for '60s B25s. Still looming in the 1200-1800 zone.

This is all in the US. Your local market will vary when overseas, of course. If too expensive, make good friends with folks in the US and have them take shipment from sellers unwilling to ship overseas and let them ship to you.

Good luck!

I had a '64 LG1 I bought new in 1964 with a serial # beginning 28.... This one looks like it's had the tuners and pick guard replaced. Of course, the case isn't the original brown chipboard faux alligator , but a good upgrade. Looks to be in very good shape. But - as has been noted here, here in the US - they aren't exactly 'rare" depending on your definition. On Guitar Center's Website listings for Used Guitarts - there are 4 LG2s and 0 LG1s.

The prices, as I've causally observed them - have been creeping up. $1500 USD for on in good shape would be reasonable over here. Of course - ymmv, as always. It has a unique sound - occupies a niche very distinct from any other Gibson past or present. G'Luck.

Archived