Gibson Brands Forums

angle from stopbar

Roach

Ok the string vibrates between the nut and bridge saddle, i understand that, but how does the angle from the stopbar tailpiece to the bridge affect the strings ability to vibrate most freely? more specifically how does the angle from bridge to stopbar affect the sound. I know you can adjust the nut but the shape of the guitar head/neck kinda determines the angle at the other end for you, but the stopbar can be extremely different heights...

Agreed! lots of garbage about the angle having an impact on the string "slinkiness" but basic physics (and all my guitar set-ups) debunk this. However, if the angle of the string results in the string only just touches the rear edge of the bridge, the string can buzz; either wind the tailpiece down to make hard contact of the strings on the rear edge or raise it up to make sure the strings clear the bridge edge completely.

So legend has it.... the string should never touch the bridge behind the saddle.

IME the reality is, it doesn't seem to matter a hoot one way or another and you will often have to raise the stop bar till you might feel it relaxes the tension a bit too much for your liking.

On Gibson electric guitars, the string angle from the nut to the tuning posts (17 degrees) is a design element to increase the strings' downward force on the nut. The string angle from bridge to stop bar is a design element meant to reflect the angle at the nut and produce similar downward force on the saddles, and the stop is adjustable so the bridge height can be compensated. As to whether or not the design produces the desired result - people argue about it all the time.

Interesting. So is that to say a stock gibson LP would have that same angle from factory settings? (17%?)

My first question was if the angle had an affect on how well the string will vibrate between nut and bridge. I guess if it did maximize or minimize the vibration the effect would be one of sustain wouldn't it. That is, "IF" it had any affect. I hear ya all about that being a common debate. Thanks for the info.

I don't know much about it but if you look at how guitars are set up at the factory you'll notice that the break angle over the bridge is about the same as the break angle over the nut. The stop bar is usually higher on the low e side so the strings are all roughly parallel between the bridge and the stop bar.

I don't know much about it but if you look at how guitars are set up at the factory you'll notice that the break angle over the bridge is about the same as the break angle over the nut. The stop bar is usually higher on the low e side so the strings are all roughly parallel between the bridge and the stop bar.

yeah i just noticed that after you pointed it out. It is higher on that side. I lowered the action allot and the tailpiece seems high, but the angle is approximately the same at both ends...

Now, the second question is how much angle, how high should the strings be from fret 1, 7, 12 15. I replaced the brass nut with the titanium one, easy to do however the neck having just a slight relief as it should, the action is higher and higher from the first fret to last, seems like its way too extreme. I raised the nut, but how much greater should it be. how to balance the bridge and nut heights to properly set the action where i want it to be?

I understand action is a preference but what im trying to find out is if i set it so the action low enough that its almost going to buzz then what amount of increase should it have as it goes down, or up?

Agreed! lots of garbage about the angle having an impact on the string "slinkiness" but basic physics (and all my guitar set-ups) debunk this. However, if the angle of the string results in the string only just touches the rear edge of the bridge, the string can buzz; either wind the tailpiece down to make hard contact of the strings on the rear edge or raise it up to make sure the strings clear the bridge edge completely.

This is a problem with the big Nashville bridge .

OK but my last question was about the balance of height of nut and bridge. The action. If the neck is set with a touch of relief, how much higher should the action be at the 15th fret then it is at the first fret? It cannot be the same all the way down the fretboard if you have any relief, right?

Archived