Gibson Brands Forums

Sycamore.... Realizing Mortality.

Murph

I wrote this well over two decades ago. The only recording ( I think...) were instrumentals.

It's my first use of Garageband, and I used the vintage drum track. Everything else was done by hand, bass, guitars, mandolin. It's my J-45 of course.

1471997704[/url]' post='1793848']

I wrote this well over two decades ago. The only recording ( I think...) were instrumentals.

It's my first use of Garageband, and I used the vintage drum track. Everything else was done by hand, bass, guitars, mandolin. It's my J-45 of course.

https://soundcloud.c...ummitt/sycamore

Ben,

A+ GarageBand usage. I love the song. I love "that minor" chord (third one). And now I'm all interested in the mandolin.

We had a huge sycamore in front of my house. It came down in hurricane Irene. I now have a nice maple planted there, and she is starting to get there in size. We all roll on, buddy.

I like that kind of tune, Ben. Hell, you played better 20 years ago than I do now....and 20 years ago I'd already been playing almost 30 years..lol....Regarding your song---I really like the analogy of life and the tree. Good "food for thought" and good song, my friend. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks for the kind words.

I got the iPad mini several months ago and don't have much time during the summer. I really don't have garageband figured out, I don't understand how to do a final mix and save it. Every time I open the song, the record light is lit. YouTube is full of instructions that don't make sense. I'll have more time during the winter to dink with it.

I never did much with the song because after I wrote it, it always sorta creeped me out. The older I get, the more I like it ? Weird....

Thanks again all, writing is so personal, I never know which ones to post.

As I've gotten older I'm becoming, well not a tree hugger, but very appreciative of old trees.

Well, as I think about it... also old dogs. (our 8 year old Lab has two suspicious lumps the vet told us yesterday we need to have removed and biopsied).

And, of course old pickup trucks, Watermelon Wine.

Lyrics, key, chords and melody were all perfectly in synch.

Singing was great too. 1000% better than my attempts. Not sure why, in the autumn of my years - my voice still sounds like a 13 year old entering puberty.

The only thing that seemed to me out of synch with a 'purist's view of the world' was - vintage drum track.

But - it certainly didn't get in the way of the song.

Loved it. THANKS !

Archived