Gibson Brands Forums

My first narrated video... Guitar Staining

Rabs

I just finished uploading my new video...

Its of me staining a guitar blue... Its fairly long (9:25) so I don't expect people to watch the whole thing.. Its really meant for anyone interested in doing it themselves... And the idea is if they see that they may look at some of my other vids etc......

So yeah, its my first time narrating a video... I HATE the sound of my own voice so I hope it doesn't drone too much, please feel free to tell me whatever you think...

Here goes :)

That was genuinely interesting for me. I also watched it all.

You speak at the right speed for me (meaning I digested it all), and your voice is relaxed without being soporific.

The most impressive thing though, is the furious rate at which you can work, and do that commentary at the same time! Kudos man… ;)

Wow, such praise.. I thank you all... :)

I was worried it would be a bit boring (even though I watch these vids all the time myself :))... So all this is good to hear.. And will make me want to do more [thumbup]

nope Rabs. not boring,

and nothing wrong with your voice either. your brit accent makes you sound way smarter than me!! :)

(but I know, none of us really like hearing our voice... singing can be interesting when you're just starting out!!)

nope Rabs. not boring,

and nothing wrong with your voice either. your brit accent makes you sound way smarter than me!! :)

(but I know, none of us really like hearing our voice... singing can be interesting when you're just starting out!!)

Ha, yeah ive always hated the sound of recordings of me....

So its good to know that its acceptable :)

So how are things going Rabs, are you selling your guitars?

Sadly no not yet... No orders or even any enquires....

Really hard to break in to this... I have a web site, facebook and youtube page... Plus I took out an advert for three months in a national Guitar magazine...

HOWEVER, I have a trade show coming up in October and another in February that im booked in to...

I think that if I don't sell anything at either show I will probably have to give this up.... So we will see....

Id love to do this for a living but always knew it would be hard to break in to.... And at the end of it all if I cant make a living out of it.. At least now I know how to build a guitar from scratch which is what this was all about when I first started... So its all cool :)

The most impressive thing though, is the furious rate at which you can work, and do that commentary at the same time! Kudos man… ;)

Haha, yeah.. I should have used the Benny Hill music :D

Hey, you're British! [biggrin]

Always interesting to hear people's voices. We all hate our won speaking voices when we hear them on tape, btw. Yours works very well for voice-over I think.

Cheers, that's good to hear... I cant judge it impartially....

Do we all sound the same to you in the US? :)

Cheers, that's good to hear... I cant judge it impartially....

No. Not at all.

Your voice is great. Really great. You could easily do voice-over work for advertising here in the US. In the States, your voice could convince people to buy anything because your particular accent implies a certain level of sophistication that is very attractive to Americans. Americans who try to have a fake british accents try to copy your particular way of talking. So maybe you could give classes to Americans who want to develop a british accent. We also have a kind of fake accent that is common among Hollywood types where they combine a sort of british accent with some other ways of speaking to make a kind of Kathryn Hepburn sounding voice.

[biggrin]

No. Not at all.

Your voice is great. Really great. You could easily do voice-over work for advertising here in the US. In the States, your voice could convince people to buy anything because your particular accent implies a certain level of sophistication that is very attractive to Americans. Americans who try to have a fake british accents try to copy your particular way of talking. So maybe you could give classes to Americans who want to develop a british accent. We also have a kind of fake accent that is common among Hollywood types where they combine a sort of british accent with some other ways of speaking to make a kind of Kathryn Hepburn sounding voice.

[biggrin]

Haha, good...

So unlike RCT we don't all sound like Harry Potter to you then.... Or Di*k van Dyke (mind you, NO ONE ever sounded like that ;))

No not at all. I watched the whole thing too. It looks like I'm the first to put a "like" on it so all you guys that watched it on here go back & watch it on you tube and give the bloke a "like" :)

I enjoyed your voice Rabs - very relaxing - and yes the British accent definitely makes you sound more intellectual even though I'm quite certain you already are! Your video also taught me that I do not have the patience to go to all that work to make my own guitar so thank you in advance for saving me the time, money & expense of trying to make one even half as sharp looking as yours is. I appreciate your efforts my euro brother! [thumbup]

Archived