Gibson Brands Forums

The Difference between a L-00 and a Blues King?

BigDawg007

I prolly should know the difference, but I was hoping to start here, They look very similar, are both sitka and mahogany? and the are both technically both L-00 size right?

Or these just different names for the same guitars?

Different periods?

Thanks Folks-

BigDawg

My 2005 Blues King L-00 is Bubinga back and sides with Sitka top, mini-Grover tuners, Baggs pickup and a host of differences to a vintage L-00, probably more of a 'in the style of' guitar build from Gibson, instead of an exact reissue. Newer J45s are the same sort of build.

A friend's 2012 Blues King L-00 is Mahogany back and sides with Sitka top and I assume the build is the same as mine.

They sounded very similar in the few minutes we played them together, will need further investigation!

And my vintage 1937 Gibson L-0 is the same shape with Mahogany back and sides and Adirondack top and sounds nothing like the Blues King [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Yep. And neither, of course, sounds like an original L-00. Both sound really good, I think. So do the originals. Became totally absorbed in vintage L-00 guitars years ago and owned a handful. Each sounded a bit different, but none approximated the current manufacture at all.

I got tired of trying to buy on line so I gave up on vintage instruments. I think I live in the dead zone, I never see anything local. I have a few RI and I am impressed with them although I don't have anything to compare them to. The '32 L00 RI I have weighs only 3.2 lbs

Bozeman Blues Kings ca 90-06 had the 25.5 scale, more common to a J200 or a D28. These are bright and tight, dont sound like L00s. Then the made short scale ones in bubinga for a while. More recently, Gibson has been offering old school 24.75 spruce mahongany models.

Archived