Gibson Brands Forums

A Trip to Southpaw

Buc McMaster

Jimmy called so I hotfooted it over to the shop to see if he got the right guard - yes! Much thinner than the original, surface engraved and painted......the right one for this guitar. The colors pop much more on the new guard, not being cover in plastic. Now I can start wearing it away! And......there was a very fine 2014 SJ-200 there as well that I played while waiting for the guard change - really, really nice!! Quite heavy, though, with active electronics and Grover machine heads. Excellent setup and wonderful big maple tone!

IMG_1799_zpsvuoj07be.jpg

----is the difference the thickness of the material used?

Yes. The original guard (still on the guitar in the photo) is much thicker, has a significant radius on its' edge and the paint us under a layer of plastic. I think this is the guard called "flubber". The replacement (on the right) guard is half as thick, of a similar material with a much squarer edge and the paint is on the engraved surface. This is as the original Hummingbird guards were, though the paint used has likely changed over the years. This guitar is the 2016 Vintage model and, as a reissue instrument, should have the surface painted guard. It makes the reissue more accurate and I don't mind the paint wearing away.......it's part of the look of a long played, vintage Hummingbird to my eye..........but I'm sure there are '60s examples that still have good paint.

Yes. The original guard (still on the guitar in the photo) is much thicker, has a significant radius on its' edge and the paint us under a layer of plastic. I think this is the guard called "flubber". The replacement (on the right) guard is half as thick, of a similar material with a much squarer edge and the paint is on the engraved surface. This is as the original Hummingbird guards were, though the paint used has likely changed over the years. This guitar is the 2016 Vintage model and, as a reissue instrument, should have the surface painted guard. It makes the reissue more accurate and I don't mind the paint wearing away.......it's part of the look of a long played, vintage Hummingbird to my eye..........but I'm sure there are '60s examples that still have good paint.

Yeah, Buc, my '65 guard retains its paint and color. No clue why - not for lack of being played, though. For all I know, the well-adhering paint was factory error....

Would sure love to visit southpaw if it weren't a 12 1/2 hour drive- i'm really enjoying the j45 vintage i received from there 7 weeks ago, it keeps getting richer and fuller sounding- thanks for that tip, buc...your hummingbird sounds fantastic in all your clips

Nice! Did it change volume or tone?

Good question and interesting answer.

Regarding thickness, I never realized the TV's should have thinner guards than Standards. But if you say so.

Maybe the pre-16 'ordinary' TV's are thicker than the torrefied new ones ?

Anyway here is a TV guard as it is supposed to be.

http://medias.audiof...urst-365083.jpg

Notice how little glue is visible there - much less than under mine, which both have the marble-like-glue-pattern I choose to see as the nectar itself.

Look forward to follow you gluing process or hearing how you do/did it.

Enjoy the task

Gibson apparently has more than one version of the Hummingbird guard.........

Tortoise-swirled flubber version: thick and heavy; radius on the edge; paint under plastic (original on my guitar)

Tortoise-swilred "vintage" version: thin and square edged; engraved and painted on the surface (on my guitar now)

Trans red flubber version: thick; radius on the edge (in Em7's photo above)

.......and maybe there are others.

Can't tell from the photo, but this one does have the big radius on it's edge and looks like the flubber one removed from my guitar save the translucent red color......is this one engraved on it's surface or no? The colors look a bit dull on this one tending to indicate it is indeed a flubber guard in trans red. And compare the hummingbird's wings in my photo above and the image Em7 linked to.........different painting on the backside wing!

The luthier at Jimmy's shop changed mine out while I waited, no big deal. A little heat gun action and the flubber guard came off very clean, leaving no residue on the top. He marked the fretboard end point with a piece of tape and laid it right on there pretty as you please........perfect.

As an aside, I emailed Ben at Gibson Acoustic Customer Service about three weeks ago about getting the correct guard......no reply......so I called and spoke to him. No, we don't have a mold to make that style guard for the Hummingbird. Not true, Ben. I had a Standard some where around 2010-2011 that had that guard on it, and there's another one hanging in Jimmy's shop now that has one as well. Hmmm. Let me do some research and I'll call you back. No call back. Left him a message......no call back. Called again this past Monday and got his voice mail but did not leave another message. Customer service? Really? Guess all's well that ends well though.............the correct guard is on the guitar now.

Archived