Gibson Brands Forums

epi swingster vs. epi SG

JerseyRay

Since I got my used 08 SG my 2014 swingster has not been getting much use, but today I plugged it in. It's hard to compare the 2, 2 very different guitars. Both are strung with EP 9's.

Neck: Between the 2 I prefer the neck of the swiggster. But I like the extended neck scale of the SG.

varation of available tone: swingster hands down. Between the single coil / humbucker the swingster has a huge range of sound and tone, really bright bridge, big rich neck.

BUT... the SG has that classic SG sound. Stock 08 epi PU's but the bridge nails that black Sabbath tone and rip. Don't need no stink'n toni iommi PU's, this one nails it. But not very bright if that's something you're looking for. Neck PU, I can't seem to find much use for it. But I'm ok with just the bridge PU.

Well, that's my report... I was very surprised of the difference in sound between the 2. Their so different, I need to keep both.... [thumbup]

apples and potatoes.. two different animals.

I've got a white one, had it for a while now.

I like what I can do with it, (which is quite a lot).

I usually use 11s on it but 10s work too, I haven't used 9s for decades.

btw.. the pickup settings are parallel and series, it's not a coil cut to single coil like on the Epi PRO series.

Multiple guitars are like different kinds of paint and brushes to an artist. I might even suggest you try heavier strings, or even flatwounds on the Swingster to further differentiate the tones.

Each has a unique voice and will bring out different aspects of your musicianship.

It's not "Swingster vs. SG" but rather "Swingster PLUS SG."

Since I got my used 08 SG my 2014 swingster has not been getting much use, but today I plugged it in. It's hard to compare the 2, 2 very different guitars. Both are strung with EP 9's.

Neck: Between the 2 I prefer the neck of the swiggster. But I like the extended neck scale of the SG.

varation of available tone: swingster hands down. Between the single coil / humbucker the swingster has a huge range of sound and tone, really bright bridge, big rich neck.

BUT... the SG has that classic SG sound. Stock 08 epi PU's but the bridge nails that black Sabbath tone and rip. Don't need no stink'n toni iommi PU's, this one nails it. But not very bright if that's something you're looking for. Neck PU, I can't seem to find much use for it. But I'm ok with just the bridge PU.

Well, that's my report... I was very surprised of the difference in sound between the 2. Their so different, I need to keep both.... [thumbup]

One guitar is never enough (dispite that other thread on the acoustic side), different sounds and feels are a good way to expand your horizons. Anything that inspires you to play more is always a good thing.

Johnny

I have a lot of guitars, but with little (well, ok, some) duplication re: body style, pickups, scale, acoustic, electric, etc.

I once described them as your kids; they're all kind of the same, but each has it's own distinct personality.

Don't know how else to put it, but yeah, you need both.

One guitar is never enough (dispite that other thread on the acoustic side), different sounds and feels are a good way to expand your horizons. Anything that inspires you to play more is always a good thing.

Johnny

Electric side of the matter is a different animal entirely. ...

Archived