Gibson Brands Forums

"Your Song" Acoustic/Vocal

BluesKing777

A strange choice, but...

I was doing some instrumental guitar like Bert Jansch and then went to do a few songs from a Chordie page of faves I have saved, and had another shot at Elton John's "Your Song".

I have tried it before a few times and couldn't quite get the thing, but this time I transposed it to C, then capoed up.

I like it, so here it is.... a couple of tech buzzes and glitches in the middle, one mic only for voc and guitar, but I look at it as more of an 'idea' than finished recording. Though nothing like Bert or Elton, it was hard to not overdo the fingerpicking, but there are a little touches of Bert came through, I thought.

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/yoursongcapo777

BluesKing777.

Thanks for the replies!

I never thought I would do that song, or be able to do it.... so there you go. Not one ounce of blues in there. <_< But playing different things leads to many doors.

I had a sheet music version in a book years ago that did its best to deter guitar players from playing the song, and any other in the book for that matter, by putting it in scary keys for guitarists like Z Flat or something.

Even the one I used on Chordie was in D with some handful chords, but as soon as I pressed the 'transpose chords' button on the side of Chordie to make it C, I could tell that the slash chords were now what I think of as Bert chords (with the thumb over the sixth string). But everyone in England played these same chords in the mid sixties! I tune the guitar down 2 frets normally, so for my vocal I put the capo on the 3rd. I like the guitar sound. So C#, which in music would be staggeringly awful.... <_<

BluesKing777.

Very nice version BK I like it.

Like you we used to do it in D but transposed to C is a lot easier (isn't the transpose button great) It seems to sing OK in C so I'm not sure why you take the strings down a tone then capo three when you could just capo one to get C#. Or capo two to get it back to the original D.

Thanks for the replies!

I am still out of action with a rotten virus....endless cough, cough, cough nearly 7 days now., sleeping siiting up!

BluesKing777.

Hurry up and down a few "hot toddies" and send out some new recordings! ;)

Archived