Gibson Brands Forums

Best pots and caps with 490r/498t

Style

Hi

My 2004 les paul standard comes with stock 300k pots and ceramic 0.02uf caps. Now the guitar has 490r and 498t as pickups (instead of factory burstbuckers pro replaced a couple of months ago). For best sound output, do you think it is better to use 500k audio taper pots with the pickups installed?

I think the question should be.. Do you like the sound of the guitar.. If the answer is yes then just leave it be....

If you think the pickups are to trebely or too dark then that's something else... But yes, usually Humbuckers have 0.022uf caps and 500k pots...

Hi

My 2004 les paul standard comes with stock 300k pots and ceramic 0.02uf caps. Now the guitar has 490r and 498t as pickups (instead of factory burstbuckers pro replaced a couple of months ago). For best sound output, do you think it is better to use 500k audio taper pots with the pickups installed?

Agreeing with Rab's, if you like the sound don't change for the sake of change (don't fix it if it ain't broke). However, as mentioned if you find it dark, 500 kohm pots will let more treble through. The lower the cap value the more treble passed through as well.

You can also try this one step at a time, change you pots first and see how you like it, then play with cap values to your taste afterwards.

My LPC with 490/498 came with 500 pots but I changed the neck cap to .015 to brighten it up a tad.

Johnny

I have the 490/498 and I gave up on them. I even changed to a better speaker in my amp to no avail. Personally I would rather have inexpemsive Epiphone humbuckers than these.

Some people simply swap magnets between the two. Others use A3 in the 498 but even that was not a cure.

Recently I read where folks have tried an A8 magnet in the 498. The A8 folks say this worked. You can find threads on this cure over at the SD forum.

My advice is to simply stick a set of SD Hot Rodded humbuckers in your Studio. Leave evetything else stock. Some people defend the490/498 as being very toneful but if they are right then why are the 490/498 called The Dreaded Pair? Why is this the only Gibson humbucker set that gets so much discussion?

If you want to spend money trying to live with a set of humbuckers try going back to the Burstbucker pros. You will stand abetter chance of success with them than the 490/498.

Gibson makes too many really nice humbuckers. I don't understand why they continue to make the 490/498.

I have the 490/498 and I gave up on them. I even changed to a better speaker in my amp to no avail. Personally I would rather have inexpemsive Epiphone humbuckers than these.

Some people simply swap magnets between the two. Others use A3 in the 498 but even that was not a cure. Recently I read where folks have tried an A8 magnet in the 498. The A8 folks say this worked.

My advice is to simply stick a set of SD Hot Rodded humbuckers in your Studio. Leave evetything else stock. Some people defend the490/498 as being very toneful but if they are right then why are the 490/498 called The Dreaded Pair? This is the only Gibson humbucker set that gets so much discussion.

If you want to spend money trying to live with a set of humbuckers try going back to the Burstbucker pros. You will stand abetter chance of success with them than the 490/498.

Gibson makes too many really nice humbuckers. I don't understand why they continue to make the 490/498.

](*,)+:-@

You are the only person I've ever heard refer to these pick ups in this manner.

Gibson continues to make them and install them in a wide variety of guitars (not just LPs) because........... wait for it.................................................................................................. you are in the minority. You're getting to be as bad a SG Player with your nonsensical ramblings

Johnny

](*,)+:-@

You are the only person I've ever heard refer to these pick ups in this manner.

Gibson continues to make them and install them in a wide variety of guitars (not just LPs) because........... wait for it.................................................................................................. you are in the minority. You're getting to be as bad a SG Player with your nonsensical ramblings

Johnny

You can have my 490/498 set for $75 shipped.

BTW there are hundreds of threads all over the web about the Dreaded pair so your statement that you've never seen any discussion on them is simply denial and obfuscation. BTW you're on my ignore list now.

BTW there are hundreds of threads all over the web about the Dreaded pair so your statement that you've never seen any discussion on them is simply denial and obfuscation. BTW you're on my ignore list now.

Not hurting my feelings any

I know you say I'm on your ignore list, but I'm willing to bet you can't help yourself.

You see it's like this, guys like you come on the forum and spout nothing but disparaging remarks (or mostly, I'm sure not EVERY post you've made is tainted with your venom) to people looking for help or information and then get all pissy when some one calls you on it.

This is one of, if not the best forum on the net and I'd like it to stay that way.

Johnny

Hi

300k linear volume, 500k audio taper tone along with 0.022µF is stock with most Gibsons with humbuckers including 490R and 498T. There is nothing wrong with staying stock. That's what I did with the two 490Rs and three 498Ts of mine, all of the pickups stock, too. B)

Push/pull pots are not available 300k linear, so Gibson uses 500k audio taper for volume in these cases. Then there are some signature or reissue models using them, in particular for being true to a given archetype.

Anyway, I wouldn't overthink and would leave it as is. [biggrin] Rock on! [thumbup]

300k linear volume, 500k audio taper tone along with 0.022µF is stock with most Gibsons with humbuckers including 490R and 498T. There is nothing wrong with staying stock. That's what I did with the two 490Rs and three 498Ts of mine, all of the pickups stock, too. B)

Push/pull pots are not available 300k linear, so Gibson uses 500k audio taper for volume in these cases. Then there are some signature or reissue models using them, in particular for being true to a given archetype.

Anyway, I wouldn't overthink and would leave it as is. [biggrin] Rock on! [thumbup]

My guitar tech doesn't want to replace the pots on my lester. He said that is perfect as is. I just want to take out my guitar the best sound possible and I think 500k pots are useful for this purpose. 490R/498T are the most preferable pickups of the gibson production IMO. And I think Gibson put them almost in every release because they are reliable and versatile. I like them much more than burstbucker pros an 57 classic (I have them in two other different lesters), expecially the 498T. Obviusly they have limits: 490R was too dark with A2 magnet and the 498T is midscooped and a little harsh (depending on amp setting). But I have fixed the problem with a A8 magnet in 498T and a A5 in 490R. Now they are simply perfect. The best combo ever. Comparable with duncans 59n and custom or dimarzio paf and superdistortion. 498t with A8 mag rules!!!!

Archived