Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Block Logo-The Dotted I

mking

I've noticed over the years the dot over the I in the block Gibson logo/gold decal is connected to the G. I have also noticed to a lesser extent some of the decals where the dot is not connected. Mostly on J-45s since that is the guitar I usually like to look for. Anyone have info on this. Does the disconnected dot mean anything? Thanks.

Here's my recent Jackson Browne with the Gibson inlaid. Had an SJ with the same inlay. My 57 J-50 does sport the connection however. Also pictured below.DSC04175_zpsbb421ee1.jpg

c4a5228e-0f56-45c7-8b6b-0a694beef47d_zpslu2sw2km.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing the dot connected on the inlayed logo. I wonder if they are out there

I suspect the reason the dot is connected in the decal is to make the application consistent. Otherwise if it was a separate piece, it would be more difficult from a production standpoint to guarantee it's always directly over the body of the i. It looks weird though, but I would say that kind of adds to the personality of the logo.

I suspect the reason the dot is connected in the decal is to make the application consistent. Otherwise if it was a separate piece, it would be more difficult from a production standpoint to guarantee it's always directly over the body of the i. It looks weird though, but I would say that kind of adds to the personality of the logo.

I suspect you may be right. The application of the decal almost demands that connection, otherwise the dots would be all over the place.

This hasn't came up for a while, so I had to look.

My 61 Melody Maker twin pickup double cut has the dot connected to the G, as does my 1979 SG.

The 1933 mandolin does not touch, but it's a totally different font.

The Custom Shop ES-339, the J-45 and the '08 Studio don't touch.

So... the connected dot can help identify what period the guitar is from? [biggrin]

FWIW, my 1965 and 1974 J-50 both have connected dots, but my 2008 J-50 does not.

I was told years ago that the dot connected was a sign of an older Gibson guitar. Although I've never seen that point in print. For some reason, a lot of the J-45 reissue guitars being sold out of Japan on eBay have the logo with the dot not connected.

A lot of the limited edition guitars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232058485194

So... the connected dot can help identify what period the guitar is from? [biggrin]

FWIW, my 1965 and 1974 J-50 both have connected dots, but my 2008 J-50 does not.

Just to clarify - does your 2008 J-50 have the decal or the inlay? My 2001 J-50 has the decal and the dot is connected.

There are minor and documented variations among vintage inlaid 'modern' Gibson logos that can be of some use in approximate dating of instruments. To my knowledge, variations in decals haven't gained much, if any, attention in that regard. You can't compare inlays with decals. Currently, dot placement may be a different phenomenon than in the past with respect to decals - don't presume to know....

collection_zpsbxomtlxa.jpg

Great reference... but we know it does not apply to the new Gibsons at all.. Gibson has kind of put everything on everything to make the guitars sell quicker.. what ever makes them look pretty.

But the Davef Pictures sure help in the vintage time frames..

Sure looks like a decal to me. :)

2008headstock.JPG

Very interesting, thanks for posting that. I wonder if all the new ones are like that, will have to look next time I'm at GC or Fuller's. I also wonder if there are pre-Bozeman era Gibsons with the disconnected i decal/block logo.

Archived