Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Acoustic Lacquer

Hello.

I have been trying to find it out for years without any success.

If You Google which nitro-cellulose lacquer Gibson uses, You will find many different opinions. Some say it's Seagrave, other think Gibson uses it's own formula.

Interesting, for a couple of years now, Gibson gives highly-detailed specifications on it's product pages, but the brand of the lacquer never gets mentioned...

Good luck... Bence

Hello.

I have been trying to find it out for years without any success.

If You Google which nitro-cellulose lacquer Gibson uses, You will find many different opinions. Some say it's Seagrave, other think Gibson uses it's own formula.

Interesting, for a couple of years now, Gibson gives highly-detailed specifications on it's product pages, but the brand of the lacquer never gets mentioned...

Good luck... Bence

Right, they mention color codes and the 90 sheen rating, at least that's something, maybe all I need to know is the sheen rating.

• 1 month later...

So apparently it is a "special" secret formula made by Sherwin Williams. It reacts badly with pickguard adhesive and pits the nitro and the pickguard lifts off. I was told they buff and polish after only 4 days of curing time. Typical Nitro takes 3 weeks for proper curing. So Gibson in its hasty production of these guitars, looking to maximize profits, continues to use this stuff. I think I am done buying Gibsons. The new Martin D-42 I just bought is flawless in every way especially the absolutely perfect finish job, it is immaculate. Here is pictures of the nitro reaction under the pickguard.

http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/victoryguitarshop/slideshow/New%20Pickguard%20Installation

So apparently it is a "special" secret formula made by Sherwin Williams...

Hello Pete.

Are You sure about this? Please, tell me what are Your sources. They do not list instrument-making as a market they serve.

http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/cs/swpf/search?search=Gibson+&t=&x=0&y=0

Thank You in advance!

Best wishes... Bence

Hello Pete.

Are You sure about this? Please, tell me what are Your sources. They do not list instrument-making as a market they serve.

http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/cs/swpf/search?search=Gibson+&t=&x=0&y=0

Thank You in advance!

Best wishes... Bence

I was personally told in an e-mail it is made by Sherwin Williams. I asked Sherwin Williams this and have received no response.

• 2 months later...

Guys,

I can tell you from many years of experience of being in close contact of the guitar nitro subject, that guitar mfgs, have bounced around with coating suppliers forever.

It's proprietary nature between rivals, keeps things somewhat wrapped up.

Application dictates the chemical make up of each companies nitro. So if you are applying conventionally, and actually get a product that's being used by a maker, and its applied electrostatically, your results will be very different.

So I have found, over time, that creating a personalized mix for my specific environment from quality nitros, using top grade reducers / retarders, and flow agents, have given me a better finish than using the same nitro Gibson uses.

Guys,

I can tell you from many years of experience of being in close contact of the guitar nitro subject, that guitar mfgs, have bounced around with coating suppliers forever.

It's proprietary nature between rivals, keeps things somewhat wrapped up.

Application dictates the chemical make up of each companies nitro. So if you are applying conventionally, and actually get a product that's being used by a maker, and its applied electrostatically, your results will be very different.

So I have found, over time, that creating a personalized mix for my specific environment from quality nitros, using top grade reducers / retarders, and flow agents, have given me a better finish than using the same nitro Gibson uses.

I would be surprised if Gibson is using an electrostatic application process. My concern currently is doing touch ups, I would want the touchup to be compatible and not stand out.

Archived