Gibson Brands Forums

What foods do you hate?

Mr. Gibson

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not big an anything that has a "creamy" sauce on it, but if it has mayo, I'm outta here. That said, weird I know, but I like tuna salad, potato salad, egg salad, et al. If mayo is the "bingding agent" then it's ok. If it's a spread, well, not so much. I know I'm not alone in this.

Food?? Hate???

Say it aint so.

Can't think of anything I hate.

To avoid being rude I choked down some haggis once. Didn't care much for it but didn't hate. I will try anything once.

I may draw the line at balut.

I have lived in and out of the southern United States for most of my life.

One food that I cannot tolerate is chitterlings.

The poor rural blacks always called them 'chitlin's'.

(As in Stevie Ray Vaughan's song, "Chitlin's Con Carne". )

They are, in essence, the last part of the pig that the feces has contact with before the feces slide out onto the barnyard.

And for some reason that escapes me, some people capture them during the hog butchering process, rinse them off, chop them up, boil them, and then consume them.

It's nauseating at the very least.

I will have no part of it.

[blink]

I can eat just about anything.

The only exception I can think of is blue cheese. I don't just dislike it, but it's actually offensive. As if I've put some kind of chemical in my mouth. I don't care for feta cheese either, but it doesn't attack my taste buds like blue cheese.

I noticed a couple of spinach haters...

I was in that boat too, until I learned how to cook fresh spinach right...

- butter and olive oil

- brown some pine nuts first

- add spinach and cook until just wilted

- BOOM! Delicious and nutritious.

I also used to hate brussels sprouts until my wife found a recipe with blue cheese bacon... those two ingredients can fix most anything. [biggrin]

Anything that would gross me out. I've seen guys swallow Sardines, the smell and sight of it makes me want to puke. Tried Salmon and that's gross tasting. Dad used to take me fishing every weekend as a tod and guess I just got burnt out on fish. I hate fish! But now if guys know how to cook it, I've tried Walleye in the past and it was good. So I will eat it if it's done proper. Cauliflower dipped in ranch salad dressing is very good but I like it raw, not cooked. Love jalapeños and spicy hot stuff.

I'm not big an anything that has a "creamy" sauce on it, but if it has mayo, I'm outta here. That said, weird I know, but I like tuna salad, potato salad, egg salad, et al. If mayo is the "bingding agent" then it's ok. If it's a spread, well, not so much. I know I'm not alone in this.

I'm not big on mayo either so I will use Greek yogurt instead.

Cauliflower! eck03.gif

Nothing good can be done with that $hit.

Lol,

Bro, you're proficient in the culinary arts. You ever tried making a coulis with it? I do like the cauli but the coulis tastes nothing like raw cauli. It tastes like a good Alfredo and is way healthier.

And it's super easy.

Google it up. Bunch a recipes out there all pretty much the same. Just a basic coulis.

Yummy as hell. Could be your next spinach.

Garlic it up and real butter,,, i just spoon it in my hole.

I will try just about anything and have. There are foods I am not fond of (offal and crab), but there are two "foods" I will not eat in any form, down to a tiny fleck: cilantro and its evil cousin culantro. The nasty green weed cilantro tastes like a mix of soap and a musty rag. One tiny fleck in a bite and the food will come flying out of my mouth. For those of you that do not know what culantro is, it is a pithy leaf that is the evil cousin of cilantro because the soap/rag flavor does not cook out. This makes navigating Mexican, South Asian, and SE Asian food a challenge for me.

Cauliflower! eck03.gif

Nothing good can be done with that $hit. And don't tell me you can make it taste like potatoes.... that's what potatoes are for!

I'm sorry. My wife makes a curry cauliflower with onions and peas that is soooooo good.

cilantro and its evil cousin culantro. T

Lol. Now that's funny. But I do get it.

My first time trying it was like you.

It was a wtf taste for sure. But it was in much of the food I loved and eventually it just grew on me. It's pretty much a staple in our fridge. I throw it in my wraps by the handful.

Definitely has its own taste.

Never had culantro that I know of.

Don't think I've ever heard of it either.

I love pretty much all food. There's not a lot I "hate". I don't eat beef—but that's a choice I made, for health reasons, 20+ years ago.

The foods I'd say I would hate—that is, I have never eaten them before, but the sound of them totally grosses me out—would be strange "delicacies" from other countries and cultures. For example, a coworker of mine, of Filipino ancestry, told me about this thing they eat over there called, "balut". It's a 16-21 day-old duck embryo in a shell. Frickin' disgusting!

Other than that, I'd say certain "fake meat" foods like tofu-turkey, not-dogs, veggie fish sticks, and the like—blech! [scared] Simply not worth eating. Some of it is better than others... the stuff that's not trying to replace another food is good. But I'll take the actual food, that's being substituted for by that fake crap, any day!

Some very funny answers here!

Rice pudding. Especially if it's been baked in the oven 'to finish' as my grandmother used to make it.

Macaroni-cheese. I love pasta and IMO the family of cheeses is one of humankind's greatest achievements but macaroni-cheese? It's like vomiting in reverse.

Andouillette. And Tripe. Again; I love mealy-puddings (such as haggis) but there ARE limits...

Pip.

Archived