Gibson Brands Forums

The Newer D'Adarrio Humidity control device

kelly campbell

Has anyone had the chance to try the newer humidity control system on the market? I am referring to the ones that work both ways in that it reduces or increases humidity depending on conditions. I think there are a couple out there but I believe D'Adarrio makes them for Taylor and other companies. Just curious if they work well.

My link

I use them all the time and love them.

One pouch tuners side in the case, and the pouch inside body.

It is very easy to use and safe to me, no water to put into anything, the system does it all...

It is said to work for 3 to 6 months before changing pouchs, but where i live (France) the pouch are still working fine after almost one year of use !

I use them all the time and love them.

One pouch tuners side in the case, and the pouch inside body.

It is very easy to use and safe to me, no water to put into anything, the system does it all...

It is said to work for 3 to 6 months before changing pouchs, but where i live (France) the pouch are still working fine after almost one year of use !

Been thinking about using them but I wanted to hear some educated feedback from someone other than a sales person. I would need about 5 or 6 so I want to be sure before I spend the money. Merci Beaucoup

Has anyone had the chance to try the newer humidity control system on the market? I am referring to the ones that work both ways in that it reduces or increases humidity depending on conditions. I think there are a couple out there but I believe D'Adarrio makes them for Taylor and other companies. Just curious if they work well.

My link

Got them in 7 guitars-they work great

Moose

Have been using these for five years in 10 guitars, with no issues. I live in a very dry climate, so the packs start to get hard after a month, then I recharge them ( against the advice of the manufacturer. I toss them out and get replacements once the packs start to feel flimsy. image_zpsdmiku1i7.jpeg

Have been using these for five years in 10 guitars, with no issues. I live in a very dry climate, so the packs start to get hard after a month, then I recharge them ( against the advice of the manufacturer. I toss them out and get replacements once the packs start to feel flimsy. image_zpsdmiku1i7.jpeg

So what do you do to recharge them? Are you just putting them in a tote to dry them out??

So what do you do to recharge them? Are you just putting them in a tote to dry them out??

Insert a small open plastic box, I have a little wooden rack in this box to hold up the packs giving them plenty of exposed surface area. Put the small box into a larger plastic box that has a top you can seal up fairly good. Does not need to be airtight. Pour an inch or two of water into this larger box, the water will creep up the sides of the small box. Seal it up. Next time you need to replace a dry hardened pack for one of your guitars, just swap it out from one in this box. Like I said, there is a point where the packs seem to get a bit flimsy feeling - toss any questionable ones out.

I do this because these seem to cost $3 to $4 a pack, and my climate is so dry that if I bought new ones every time one got hard, I would soon go broke.

I think I'd have to use them the way Dan does. It gets so dry here in the winter (forced air heat) that I have just not tried them.

But I too have been wondering, as I might be moving into a humid climate--how long/well do they work to remove humidity? There are not a lot of products on the market for de-humidifying guitars, just for humidifying them.

Switched from Oasis to these and I'm not looking back.

These work great. The first thing that happened is they sucked almost a pound (it seemed like) of water out of my guitar that the one-way Oasis put in it.

Then I had to get used to the lighter guitar (loved it) and the change in sound of the drier wood.

Also had to get used to not having to worry if I'm out of town for more than two days that the guitar would start to crack if there was no one to add water to the Oasis. The D'Addario system works for months without having to do more than check it once a week or so.

Great purchase and one recommended by my luthier.

I started using these a few years ago and think they're great. I buy them in bulk packages. At first they only lasted 2 to 3 months. After I added a humidifier for the winter months and a dehumidifier for the summer months to my guitar room, they last over a year. I have noticed two things. the one at the headstock can affect the finish on the back of the head stock. Since I started wrapping a microfiber cloth around it, the problem went away. The other thing is it will sometimes put a fine white powdery residue on the guitar, but it wipes away easily.

I've bought used guitars that sounded like they were muffled. After a couple years of using these in the case, they dry out and sound great.

I use these as well with all my acoustics. Seem to work well. I always write the install date on the packet before inserting into the pouch as well, just to keep a record.

When D'Adarrio first brought these out the pouch for the soundhole was a saddle bag type, they since then changed it to the single bag with the plastic holder. Don't know why. Cheaper??

Anyway, I'm not too keen on the plastic fastener / holder so I've been purchasing these instead from the actual manufacturer of the system. These are a much softer material with no hard plastic.

http://www.bovedainc.com/store/music/boveda-fabric-pouch-holder-guitars/

They also sell the packs in bulk for a decent price. Although Strings and Beyond online are cheap for the 3 pack and have free shipping on orders over $29.

I might need to look into this... You guys are selling me.

In the nicer months, I just leave my guitars out of their cases and humidify the room. When it gets too cold outside for me to do that, they go in the cases with a boatload of humidifiers (maybe overboard but usually one Herco per case, one in each soundhole, and one in each neck compartment). So I guess during the other months, they'd just be humidifying/dehumidifying the empty cases.

I might need to look into this... You guys are selling me.

In the nicer months, I just leave my guitars out of their cases and humidify the room. When it gets too cold outside for me to do that, they go in the cases with a boatload of humidifiers (maybe overboard but usually one Herco per case, one in each soundhole, and one in each neck compartment). So I guess during the other months, they'd just be humidifying/dehumidifying the empty cases.

I always keep the guitars in the case, with the humidifier packs, whatever the time of year. (and I do Humidify the room for a good 6 months of the year) I personally think its good practice to. Even when I come home from a gig, I transfer the guitar from the Mono Gig bag (excellent gig bags http://monocreators.com/acoustic-dreadnought-standard) straight back into its case. As nice as it is to have the guitars out to hand, it doesn't take long to take out the ones I want to play. You really can install these packs and let them do their thing.

Archived