Gibson Brands Forums

R7 R8 etc - Please enlighten me

Davidj

Can you tell me please - what does R 7-8-9 etc mean? I assume they are exclusive to the custom range? Forgive my ignorance!

R refers to re-issue (where Gibson copies specs for a given year)

The number following indicates the year of re-issue R7 = 1957, R8 = 1958 etc

Yes, these are Custom Shop re-issues.

Johnny

• 1 month later...

As best I know there's no such thing as an R3, which was the same model as an R2 (which is a rare one to see, too).

R5's used to be available as a Custom Shop special order, but sadly no longer.

• 1 month later...

As best I know there's no such thing as an R3, which was the same model as an R2 (which is a rare one to see, too).

R5's used to be available as a Custom Shop special order, but sadly no longer.

Don't they offer the R4, though? I mean the 1954 LP Custom Black Beauty. I also see the R4 Goldtop every now and then.

Don't they offer the R4, though? I mean the 1954 LP Custom Black Beauty. I also see the R4 Goldtop every now and then.

They might still have it somewhere, but as best I can tell it's not been included in the Standard Historic and True Historic ranges.

They might still have it somewhere, but as best I can tell it's not been included in the Standard Historic and True Historic ranges.

True, but you're forgetting that Gibson makes short runs that don't get advertised on their website. For example, I bought a 2016 SG Les Paul Custom with a stopbar tailpiece last week, and that run only showed up on the dealer's availability list. The website never mentioned this model anywhere. My dealer here in Europe searches through the list every now and then for me for these special runs and one-offs. There's a '54 LP Custom available right now at Gibson Europe, I believe. My SG Custom has a genuine Ebony fretboard, Custombuckers, etc. Therefore, it's basically a Standard Historic model. Anyway, I hope this helped you out a bit.

True, but you're forgetting that Gibson makes short runs that don't get advertised on their website. For example, I bought a 2016 SG Les Paul Custom with a stopbar tailpiece last week, and that run only showed up on the dealer's availability list. The website never mentioned this model anywhere. My dealer here in Europe searches through the list every now and then for me for these special runs and one-offs. There's a '54 LP Custom available right now at Gibson Europe, I believe. My SG Custom has a genuine Ebony fretboard, Custombuckers, etc. Therefore, it's basically a Standard Historic model. Anyway, I hope this helped you out a bit.

It's cool but incredibly annoying that they do that. I can understand the one-offs, but still - so many cool instruments to miss out on! msp_tongue.gif I came across a Pelham Blue ES-345 VOS in a small shop in Barcelona just yesterday which was really cool. Near to 5000 € though msp_crying.gif

Archived