Gibson Brands Forums

May I borrow your ears for 3 minutes and 12 seconds?

Lars68

Work and other obligations have kept me away from practicing my singing and playing for a couple of weeks. I just sat down again tonight, trying to pick up where I left off with my last song. I tried using all the pointers given here on the forum previously about breathing, trying to use more force, and singing from the gut etc. Would you mind having a listen for 3:12 and tell me what you think?

The song is one I wrote a couple of weeks back about the fact that life sometimes force you in a direction you don't want to go, away from family and others things that really matter, and how you need to really try hard to break away and let your heart guide you, before time runs out. Life is short...

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/northern-star-1

Lars

Hey Lars,

The guitars and recording sounds great. The vocal need some work.... You seem to have a little challenge holding pitch on the low notes, but have an easier time ...much improved ... holding pitch singing higher? Solution Capo?

You've come a long way. You are annunciating well. Just some pitch issues to tackle. Keep it up. Personally I have writers block the last two months so I envy you for that.

Hey Lars, your song writing talent is excellent along with your guitar work. Like Sal says there is some pitch I hear, but I'm not even close to giving you advice on the how to's to offer a fix other than just keep going and practicing. They say practice makes perfect. Anyway you have come along way since the first post I heard from you. So the practice term must make sense.

First of all, I like the guitar. You're routinely playing lots of good notes that I only play by accident. [thumbup] Regarding the singing, I agree with the sentiments about pitch. Beyond that, may I offer a bit of advice from an amateur?...lol........I think you're making all of this too difficult. You're guitar playing is fine. Just let your voice go. Sing different songs. Some that are quiet ballads, some that are loud and bawdy. Start finding-out just what your vocal range is. Not every song has to be in one continuous octave. You tend to sing in a monotone and your voice has far more range than that........Most of all, keep working at it. [thumbup] As everyone has mentioned in previous threads and here, you have come a long, long way. Keep going.

Thanks friends! Seems like "not quite there, but on the right track" would sum up your comments so far. I'm very happy to hear that you think I'm improving, and practicing and keep going I surely will.

Larry your comment about your good notes happening accidentally was funny. You seem to have a lot of accident then! I have no idea where my good notes are. I just wander all over the fretboard when writing songs, searching, in hope I will recognize the good ones when I hear them [biggrin]

Lars

By the way, I do practice other songs besides my own, sometimes way out of my comfort zone, but you don't want to hear those just yet. Trust me.

I was practicing singing with my nextdoor neighbor again today. After practice, it has become kind of a ritual for her to ask "written any new songs lately?" I then played her the song in this thread, Northern Star. She then wanted to add an organ to it, so I went to grab my iPad and mic, and thirty minutes later we had this.

I just love what that organ does to my music. It creates excactly the atmosphere I want, but can't produce on my own. Singing is still as shakey, but at least the surroundings are more beautiful! [biggrin]

Lars

Yes, i can hear a steady improvement Lars. The pitch is getting better, thats clear. I would encourage you to now look at a bit closer at the phrasing and timing of the words, to try and match the vocal timing closer to the guitar and aim to have more of an overal groove. I think that would make the track stronger overall. And if you want to get even deeper consider singing some parts of the vocals a bit higher, an octave up or down, that gives the vocals real contast and in particular emphasise the chorus where often vocalists go an octave higher, which is not hard to do but needs training as one needs to know where the notes are and hit them cleanly (something that is still an ongoing challenge for me)

Archived