Gibson Brands Forums

2 Cool Red Gibsons

SeanD

New to the forum, have a couple of Gibsons, including a 2002 Dove and an 2002 ES135 with PAFs. Used to also have a 1979 ES 347 that was sold because the neck never felt exactly right and pickups were twitchy.

The ES135 was picked up in a trade when I sold the ES347. The ES135 is like an ES175, Les Paul and ES335 had sex an produced a love child. This is probably the most under-rated significant Gibson on the market, as it will play anything short of pure metal, and they sell used for the price of a funky Chinese hollow body. Could be the PAFs make the magic, but the rest of the guitar is nicely crafted, a good day in Memphis I suppose. PAFs are so airy and articulate I'm going to install some Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers (the designer of the original PAFs) into my PRS single cut. The ES135 is stunning through a VOX valve amp, full of harmonics and overtones!

Sold a 1973 Martin D-35 that I owned for 30 years, and picked up a mint 2002 Dove, at a Guitar Center just as it came out of 90 day lockup. Dump a Martin for A Gibson? Actually played the Dove against an HD28, Hummingbird, Taylor 814 and other suspects in the room. I was blown away by the grand piano-like tone of the Dove. Like a lot of people, I'd always dismissed maple bodies as being too bright, sharp and brittle sounding. This Dove is so warm and mellow sounding, but will stand up and bark if dug into hard with a stiff pick. It sounded as good as the new HD28, but with the perfect Gibson "thud" when strummed rhythm. The price was right, $1200. I guess red guitars with fiddled backs and sides are out of favor. Score!

Running the risk of being controversial, Doves are extremely fine and somewhat feminine guitars.

Just played mine for half an hour on the balcony in the sun and the sweetheart melted between my hands.

A very good and absolutely broken in 96'er it is - and especially strummed or f-picked it offers in the genuine core Gibson-sounds.

Bright, , , hmmmm, perhaps, still the real trademark, as SeanD says, is mellow.

However I would or could never choose this one over a rosewood or mahogany acoustic if goin' to a desert island. But as the soft third card - YES !

Enjoy your time here

Running the risk of being controversial, Doves are extremely fine and somewhat feminine guitars.

Just played mine for half an hour on the balcony in the sun and the sweetheart melted between my hands.

A very good and absolutely broken in 96'er it is - and especially strummed or f-picked it offers in the genuine core Gibson-sounds.

Bright, , , hmmmm, perhaps, still the real trademark, as SeanD says, is mellow.

However I would or could never choose this one over a rosewood or mahogany acoustic if goin' to a desert island. But as the soft third card - YES !

Enjoy your time here

Controversial? How could you possibly get such an idea? My notion, stated fairly often, is that ALL guitars are inherently female! Consider how many of us have a guitar harem and how many of our wives just don't get it!

Controversial? How could you possibly get such an idea? My notion, stated fairly often, is that ALL guitars are inherently female! Consider how many of us have a guitar harem and how many of our wives just don't get it!

Hahe, , not so here.

I have several that are seen as squires, rovers, vagabonds, indians, gentlemen, blood-brothers, knights, , , even a Royal Highness and 1 ragged king. .

I agree that maple has lots of preconceived notions surrounding its characteristics that I've found to be way off the mark when it comes to my J-185. And, I'm sorry but guitars are girls, just look at all the curves (except for D-style Martins which can be bi)!

I agree that maple has lots of preconceived notions surrounding its characteristics that I've found to be way off the mark when it comes to my J-185. And, I'm sorry but guitars are girls, just look at all the curves (except for D-style Martins which can be bi)!

Maybe that's why I can't seem to bond with a Martin D for any length of time....

Archived