Gibson Brands Forums

NGD not an LG

blindboygrunt

Nevermind... This is a 29 right?

Glad im not the first that asked .... but what exact model is that ?

I guess J-29, as J-15 has a different guard.

Crikey .. it sure doesnt sound like rosewood in the sample, much thinner.

Nevermind... This is a 29 right?

Much apologies. 'Would've never guessed rosewood.

Crikey .. it sure doesnt sound like rosewood in the sample, much thinner.

. . And yes, the turners need to go.. B)

As of now, I am officially no longer calling them tuners. And those turners have to go. Yeah, that's what threw my ear off.

Happy NRGD

Thanks fellas

Yeah , it's a j29 and maybe the iPad mic makes it sound 'thinner'

Or maybe it is thin .

I'm liking it.

Apart from the tuners , which are just weird looking .

They'll do for a while .

Little or no mention of j29's here in forum .

You all hiding in the corner ? Or am I the only one with one ?

Thanks fellas

Or maybe it is thin .

I'm liking it.

They'll do for a while .

I'm pretty sure Larry (MissouriPicker) has one and he really likes it.

Thanks fellas

Or maybe it is thin .

I'm liking it.

They'll do for a while .

Well I have an Eastman E20SS. It's kind of J29ish! I love the warmer sound of rosewood on a short scale.

I was gonna say it's either a J-29 or a J-35, but that just shows how ignorant I am. At least I would have gotten it one or the other.

The J-35 and J-29 have the different bracing, so I think depending on the mic they can record a bit thin. They are fiery, sizzly guitars. I played a J-29 in person and liked it. It is not as overly-warm as some rosewood guitars are. Although I like warm.

I don't get it.

What's wrong with the tuners on that guitar?

[crying]

I have the same question...what's wrong with the tuners on the guitar? I also don't get it. Also, I don't get why anyone would buy a specific Gibson model that comes with specific tuners and then immediately change, destroying part of the asthetics that makes it that specific model. It's not like Gibsons are imported lower grade guitars that might have inferior tuners that don't hold a guitar in tune. They are stock, reasonably higher grade tuners used on a Gibson guitar's model, not junk tuners that don't work and would need replacing so the guitar can become playable. That's a different story and replacement is necessary for the guitar to be playable.

Well whatever...just make sure you keep the original tuners should you ever sell it. I would think a buyer would want the tuners the Gibson guitar came with for asthetics purposes. I know I would want the original spec tuners on any Gibson I have or bought used. But, it's your guitar.

Just my 2 cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I have the same question...what's wrong with the tuners on the guitar? I also don't get it. Also, I don't get why anyone would buy a specific Gibson model that comes with specific tuners and then immediately change, destroying part of the asthetics that makes it that specific model. It's not like Gibsons are imported lower grade guitars that might have inferior tuners that don't hold a guitar in tune. They are stock, reasonably higher grade tuners used on a Gibson guitar's model, not junk tuners that don't work and would need replacing so the guitar can become playable. That's a different story and replacement is necessary for the guitar to be playable.

Well whatever...just make sure you keep the original tuners should you ever sell it. I would think a buyer would want the tuners the Gibson guitar came with for asthetics purposes. I know I would want the original spec tuners on any Gibson I have or bought used. But, it's your guitar.

Just my 2 cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Aesthetics aside, I've never had an acoustic with tuners that were unusable. That includes a $60 "Silvertone" guitar from Amazon and a used 80s-era Applause. The first guitar I've owned with "name brand" tuners is my J-15.

I'm far from an experienced player, but with all the guitars I've owned/played I've never thought of replacing the tuners due to a functional deficiency. If anything, I'd like to replace my fingers sometimes. Aesthetics are a different issue and up to the individual taste of the owner, and I don't begrudge anyone for spending their money the way they want.

Aesthetics aside, I've never had an acoustic with tuners that were unusable. That includes a $60 "Silvertone" guitar from Amazon and a used 80s-era Applause. The first guitar I've owned with "name brand" tuners is my J-15.

I'm far from an experienced player, but with all the guitars I've owned/played I've never thought of replacing the tuners due to a functional deficiency. If anything, I'd like to replace my fingers sometimes. Aesthetics are a different issue and up to the individual taste of the owner, and I don't begrudge anyone for spending their money the way they want.

I agree and don't begrudge anyone for spending their money the way they want. It's their guitar. I just personally wouldn't if they are workable and part of the stock asthetics of the original guitar. If they didn't work, that would be another matter. Or, if someone changed them on a high grade guitar, I'd look for originals and replace them back to the stock originals...

But, it's a personal call, but as a suggestion one should think the subject through...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived