Gibson Brands Forums

It's not one of those Apple v/s Windows Threads.

Digger

I've moved to Apple some 18 months or so ago and whilst I love my Mac I recently bought a Win 10 laptop.

I have found that dealing with images on the Mac is clumsy compared to Windows so I bought the laptop specifically to allow me to deal with my photos in a familiar manner. Additionally there is a lot I just don't understand on the Mac and probably never will.

However I have to say that having them sitting side by side the comparison apart from photos is showing up Windows and my original decision to go Apple is reinforced!

My Mac boots and I can be working in under 20 seconds, mostly as quick with shutdowns. I paid $800 for the Lenovo laptop so it's not an entry level but it's awfully bloody slow compared to the Mac. I always seem to be waiting for the darn thing to do something.

I also note that Windows is trying to emulate features that are in the Mac and that tells you something I guess.

Probably a bit disappointed that I spent the money on the laptop now.

Now my comments aren't meant to be a detailed comparison, more an initial impression.

I also note that Windows is trying to emulate features that are in the Mac and that tells you something I guess.

As it has for the last two decades! :rolleyes:

I am forced to use a Lenovo at work sometimes (standard issue to the faculty) but generally I do everything I can on my MacBook Pro. IT recently pushed out wireless projection software that is Win 10 only, so I use my Lenovo basically as a presentation station for everything created on my Mac. I put the stuff I need in Dropbox and access it from the Lenovo.

I use this iMac as my main computer at home.

It has worked fine for over six years, and I have had no problems with it.

Some features are counter-intuitive to me, but I work thru it.

I use a Dell laptop at work.

It's okay, but to be honest, we have IT people at my hangar that take care of how the computers run, and whether or not they get updates pushed to them.

I bought my wife a Lenovo laptop a couple of years ago, and it functions just fine.

She doesn't use it much at all, so I am forced to go wake it up every few weeks to update the anti-virus program, etc.

They are all tools for getting a job done, nothing more and nothing less.

I would no more declare myself an 'Apple' guy than I would declare myself a 'Craftsman' guy, a Poulan guy, or a Democrat or a Republican.

I don't like labels.

I just like what works and gives me the least troubles.

:)

I have used both for work and home..

And well I think Macs are pretty smart in terms of looks and features BUT I feel way more comfortable with Windows.. I know how to "get under the hood" as such with Windows and how to fix things that go wrong.. Apple doesn't make that sort of thing as easy. Well for me anyway..

Both do their job pretty well.. Long gone are the Blue Screens of Death :) (Windows 98 anyone??)

I have used both for work and home..

And well I think Macs are pretty smart in terms of looks and features BUT I feel way more comfortable with Windows.. I know how to "get under the hood" as such with Windows and how to fix things that go wrong.. Apple doesn't make that sort of thing as easy. Well for me anyway..

Both do their job pretty well.. Long gone are the Blue Screens of Death :) (Windows 98 anyone??)

I wish I could go back to XP to be honest as I could do anything I wanted on that. Everything since seem to be retrograde steps to me.

I'm at a point where I don't really want to muck around I just want the bloody things to work and there is far too much time spent keeping Windows up to date or even operating IMHO.

Not to worry, you could always write and then post a letter, head on down to the phone box with a fist-full of coins, and dust off the 1978 ed. Encyclopaedia Britannica… and you’re in business!

Hell, I can recall back in the mid-90’s (last century) when I was toiling in the regional office of a US mega-corp and we’d take it in turns to take our newfangled ‘laptops’ out to reception and plug in the one cable available for the office which would let the thing squeal-hiss-squawk for 30 seconds, after which a new ‘email’ or two might appear in your ‘in-box’. Mind you, back then you’d physical walk the 20 feet to a colleague’s desk to actually talk to them, that being both quicker and considered polite back in those times…

[scared][laugh]

Not to worry, you could always write and then post a letter, head on down to the phone box with a fist-full of coins, and dust off the 1978 ed. Encyclopaedia Britannica… and you’re in business!

Hell, I can recall back in the mid-90’s (last century) when I was toiling in the regional office of a US mega-corp and we’d take it in turns to take our newfangled ‘laptops’ out to reception and plug in the one cable available for the office which would let the thing squeal-hiss-squawk for 30 seconds, after which a new ‘email’ or two might appear in your ‘in-box’. Mind you, back then you’d physical walk the 20 feet to a colleague’s desk to actually talk to them, that being both quicker and considered polite back in those times…

[scared][laugh]

I'm not exactly an electronics novice Mr Scales and with Windows have been doing all my own software and hardware work for the last 15 years, but I'm just sick of having to do lots of stuff just to keep a computer running.

Thats why I turned to Apple and generally I find it does most of what I need. I wish I had left Windows well enough alone at this point.

Actually I have about 14 devices operating from my wi-fi and thats pretty geeky for a 70 year old I reckon...grin~

Last week I went done and gone bought a laptop. HP Elitebook 1040 G3. It wasn't new but a demo so it was loaded with all the goodies as they usually are in order to impress customers (Intel i7, 500G ssd and USB ports all over the place. Stuff like that.) Came with external Bluetooth optical drive and 1TB external hard drive.

Windows 10 was part of the package and I have absolutely no problems with it but the best part was, because it was a demo, the price was AU$1,800 less than if purchased new.

As it works and does what I want and need, apart from turning on all the privacy stuff as if it'd do any good, I just leave well enough alone and let it do its thing. Life is much easier that way.

I hate both.

When I bought a mac (tiger) it crashed the first time I turned it on. I paid for extra warranty from apple (applecare?) and when I tried to use it they blanked me.

I was happier when I used a Commodore Amiga.

Chuckle~

I've never had anything but Apple because my wife having a career as a school teacher and gifted coordinator for Westside Schools gets a big discount for using Apple. That's what the schools here use.

We have an Apple Mac, 2 iPads (soon to be 3) and a couple of iPhones. We like it because stuff works without a fuss and it's logical in the most part.

All our family have i Phones and as such we can text free to other Apple products. Facetime is great, with none of the fuss of Skype.

I have A/V software in the Mac but have never had a problem requiring it to protect me that I'm aware of.

I still have a desktop PC. No laptop, no wireless, tablet, smartphone or anything else like that.

I just spent over £400 on this PC; I HATE built-in obsolescence.

New Intel Quad i5 CPU, new Gigabyte m'board and RAM, new SSHD and a couple other bits and pieces.

It works very fast and very well now.

I never bought an Apple (yet) because

- very expensive

- which one do I get? You get more PC for the money IMO

- Apple users I know bitterly complain that they are not backwards-compatible

- interfaces with other Apple products but not always, and not with a PC so I'm told

I could be mistaken about some of the above, may be singing their praises in a few years....but it's such a huge company now I think they have enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

I'm with the "They are just tools" camp.

I see advantages to both and disadvantages to both. And I have both.

For the software I use for my business, PC works better, so that is the one I use the most. This has nothing to do with the computer platform, but with the apps I use. I'd switch if that situation reverses.

Because I use Windows more, I'm more comfortable with it. We tend to like what we are used to.

Insights and incites by Notes

We have an Apple Mac, 2 iPads (soon to be 3) and a couple of iPhones. We like it because stuff works without a fuss and it's logical.

Bingo.

Until buying my first iPhone (the 5C) I never knew how simple life could be.

Now I have the 6S with live pictures and 3d touch.

I still have this Windows desktop, but everything else in the house is now Apple. The iPad mini with Garageband is a hoot, everything boots up in a few seconds, never had a crash/bug/virus/issue.

Yea, Windows 10 has gone out of it's way to LOOK like Apple, but it still WORKS like Windows. Slow and sloppy.

Bingo.

Until buying my first iPhone (the 5C) I never knew how simple life could be.

Now I have the 6S with live pictures and 3d touch.

I still have this Windows desktop, but everything else in the house is now Apple. The iPad mini with Garageband is a hoot, everything boots up in a few seconds, never had a crash/bug/virus/issue.

Yea, Windows 10 has gone out of it's way to LOOK like Apple, but it still WORKS like Windows. Slow and sloppy.

It would be nice to have a "like" for this post!

For the software I use for my business, PC works better, so that is the one I use the most. This has nothing to do with the computer platform, but with the apps I use. I'd switch if that situation reverses.

Once you've gone Mac, you'll never go back. (Sorry, I couldn't pass that up.)

I bought a MacBook Pro six years ago and the ONLY problem I've had was a cable went bad. I replaced the cable and took that opportunity to switch to a solid state hard drive, and I couldn't be happier. I like that I can update the operating system on line, for free, whenever it becomes available. The security is great, and I've never had an issue with viruses or spyware that I am aware of.

When I was in the graphic arts business, most of the software was written for Macs, and it was used universally in that industry.

Garage Band came free, and though I've never figured out how to use it, I hear it is very good.

I haven't upgraded Band in a Box in a few years, but I will say that I have more problems with it on a Mac.

• 1 month later...

I went Apple with my phone, and then eventually the computer side won me over too, despite the prices.

I went through 3 unreliable Windows machines in 10 years, then got wise and decided to spend some decent money.

I've got an iMac 5K; I gave it the top-spec processor (a 4-point-something gigahertz monster), an additional graphics processor, and a small solid-state drive. Boot time is mere seconds, and the display / graphic capabilities are outstanding. It can support up to 64GB of RAM, too; something I may indeed use in future if needed.

I've also got a base-model MacBook Pro, which is barebones on the HD and stuff as it uses the main iMac (and the below) as a server for files and stuff.

The hard-drives are both configured with low storage as I've got a Linux machine (just a tower) that runs several virtual machines as servers for files and the home network; one is a VPN, another is for media, and so on. So the Macs don't need much in the HD department.

Will not be returning to a Windows world!

I've never used apple so I cannot really compare, I can however say how bad I think Windows 10 is for me. Under Windows 7 a lot of my photography programs were fantastic but now I find the same programs don't work with Windows 10 as well, even though they have been updated.

I've always been told Windows for Photography and Apple for Video editing!.

Regards

I've never used apple so I cannot really compare, I can however say how bad I think Windows 10 is for me. Under Windows 7 a lot of my photography programs were fantastic but now I find the same programs don't work with Windows 10 as well, even though they have been updated.

I've always been told Windows for Photography and Apple for Video editing!.

Regards

It used to be more like Windows for Business/Science and Mac for Art/media. However, since Apple dumped their proprietary chips and now use Intel CPUs - the same as many Windows systems, the gap has narrowed. I've supported both systems at work and prefer Windows because it's easier to get under the hood and tweak things as needed. Plus, Mac systems have always had more vulnerabilities than Windows systems (that previously weren't as heavily exploited), and this has worsened since they switched to Intel chips.

Archived