Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Les Paul studio is noisy electrical buzz

Cruiser50

Things like florescent lighting. fluorescent light bulbs(new kind), room fans and air conditioning units, TVs, AC ducting, alarm clock radios, etc are hum producing culprits we tend to overlook.

(Laptops/servers sitting near amps too)

My brother recently purchased a 2016 Les Paul Studio. It has a small buzz that won't go away. Any ideas for a fix??

Thanks for all the comments to help. He has been playing several guitars in the same room for a long time and this problem is only with the Les Paul. He has ordered some copper paint and tape to put around the electronic components. It's the first Gibson he has bought, so struggling with the noise. Thanks to all again...

To my guess there is a PCB in your brother's guitar similar to the one shown below:

pcb_top.jpg

The string ground is accomplished by a wire pinched to the green connector block seen left hand in the middle. Depressing the orange lever will loosen the clamp and allow for detaching and connecting. These connections are delicate and tend to malfunctioning what may cause buzz. Perhaps use of a contact cleaner like Deoxit or Kontakt 60 will do the trick.

Any chance the wireless internet modem is causing an electromagnetic interference?

Try unplugging that, and see what happens.

:unsure:

Not long ago I was trying to record using my Les Paul studio onto my macbook and there was such a strange sound in the background.

I couldn't work it out I was looking at my cables at my guitar everything. Then by chance I removed the power cable from the macbook and the sound went.

To my guess there is a PCB in your brother's guitar similar to the one shown below:

pcb_top.jpg

The string ground is accomplished by a wire pinched to the green connector block seen left hand in the middle. Depressing the orange lever will loosen the clamp and allow for detaching and connecting. These connections are delicate and tend to malfunctioning what may cause buzz. Perhaps use of a contact cleaner like Deoxit or Kontakt 60 will do the trick.

Thanks. He tried this, wiggled the wire in the contact, to try and make the contact better, put back together, and is significantly better. Problem solved..

Thanks. He tried this, wiggled the wire in the contact, to try and make the contact better, put back together, and is significantly better. Problem solved..

Thank you for posting, Cruiser, I'm glad I could be of help. Happy playing to your brother! [thumbup]

yeah...that mini green with orange lever connector is not durable. I had the same problem; the solid bare copper conductor wasn't making good contact...wiggle it and it worked for awhile...then it split open after more gentle wiggling. I used a little superglue to put it together again.

Archived