Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Happy Happy

Buc McMaster

The new guard on the Hummingbird is just what the doctor ordered, the correct piece for a vintage reissue model of this iconic Gibson. The colors pop much better, not being sealed under plastic. And, as you might notice, the paint in the center of the flower nearest the strings is gone already..........

631fe617-61bd-4618-8cba-561966a490fd_zpslfphxg2z.jpg

Looks great and will only look better as the flora/fauna fades.

McMaster, I know you already told us how the doc glued that guard on.

Admit I didn't really get it - could you repeat the procedure for this foreign languaged blockhead ?

[biggrin] Foreign languaged blockhead? I think not..........

Just a heat gun and a bit of muscle. Heated the surface of the guard a bit, lifted an edge with a fine edged scraper and then was able to direct heat under the guard. It softened and rolled up off the top clean as a whistle, leaving no residue at all. They laid the old guard on a sheet of wax paper and it flattened out nicely, ready for use again if need be. He laid the new guard on the top, positioned it carefully and marked the neck end with a piece of painters tape......serves as a guide when laying the first contact point. The new guard had paper covered adhesive on the back........peel the paper and it's ready to stick. Positioned it to the tape marker, lined it up with the edge of the fretboard and carefully lowered it into place, working toward the bridge. Rubbed it down good with polishing cloth under moderate pressure and voila! Easy peasy.

Isn't it funny how that works? Disappointed that it had weather checked so much, I traded my Southern Jumbo for a J-200 back when I was in my 20s and the earth was a mass of gasses. I kept that 200 for the next 20 years, but was disappointed that the paint wore of the pick guard so quickly. Now both of those things are kinda considered a benefit.

P

Yep. This one is easy on the eyes, huh. And I agree - it is backwards. Even looks that way to me. As nearly all the guitarists we see on stage, in photos, films, etc. are right handed players, even a lefty's mind sees something wrong in a southpaw guitar. A curse, I suppose.............I'll deal with it.

And I agree - it is backwards. Even looks that way to me.

I believe the split parallelograms are a crucial theme here, , , and they do what they're suppose to do. Namely to point down towards the guard.

Opposed to the single ditto on Epiphones btw, , , which seek up towards the player.

Archived