Gibson Brands Forums

Hello and NAGD Hummingbird Pro

bonedish

Hello,

Longtime lurker here -

I just recently bought a Hummingbird Pro Cutaway and had some questions about this AWESOME guitar. It's a 2016 model.

The thing is, I'm not sure about some of the spec information that the webpage currently provides (http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Hummingbird-Pro/Specs.aspx) and just wanted to know the following:

1) Which pickup comes installed in this model? Mine has 2 knobs in the soundhole - 1 volume and 1 tone.

2) My case has black fabric inside the case instead of the blue listed on your website - is this the correct case?

I am very happy with this guitar but am very concerned that customer service has not responded to the two emails I've sent - one was sent on the 22nd.

Thank you so much for any information you can provide!

Hello,

Longtime lurker here -

I just recently bought a Hummingbird Pro Cutaway and had some questions about this AWESOME guitar. It's a 2016 model.

The thing is, I'm not sure about some of the spec information that the webpage currently provides (http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Hummingbird-Pro/Specs.aspx) and just wanted to know the following:

1) Which pickup comes installed in this model? Mine has 2 knobs in the soundhole - 1 volume and 1 tone.

2) My case has black fabric inside the case instead of the blue listed on your website - is this the correct case?

I am very happy with this guitar but am very concerned that customer service has not responded to the two emails I've sent - one was sent on the 22nd.

Thank you so much for any information you can provide!

Hi Bonedish,

This is an enthusiast forum, and while the employees at Gibson post from time to time this is mostly a place where Gibson owners and lovers discuss guitars and music.

To answer your questions:

- The pickup installed is most likely an LR Baggs Element VTC (VTC stands for Volume and Tone Control).

- Everything I'm seeing on Gibson's site says the Hummingbird Pro is supposed to come with a blue-lined case, so it sounds like the folks at Guitar Center may have just picked up a case in the back rather than the case that came with your guitar (Unless of course they unboxed it fresh for you, in which case Gibson made the error when they packaged the guitar). I should mention that outside of the interior lining cover, the cases should be equivalent in function and build.

History and experience informs not to expect much at all from Gibson's customer service.........outside of the occasional aberration.

Pickup and case? Don't sweat the small stuff.........if you like it, play it.

Thanks for this. The customer service reports I've been reading (including your testimony) are unfortunate. You are completely right about not sweating the small stuff!

Hi Bonedish,

This is an enthusiast forum, and while the employees at Gibson post from time to time this is mostly a place where Gibson owners and lovers discuss guitars and music.

To answer your questions:

- The pickup installed is most likely an LR Baggs Element VTC (VTC stands for Volume and Tone Control).

- Everything I'm seeing on Gibson's site says the Hummingbird Pro is supposed to come with a blue-lined case, so it sounds like the folks at Guitar Center may have just picked up a case in the back rather than the case that came with your guitar (Unless of course they unboxed it fresh for you, in which case Gibson made the error when they packaged the guitar). I should mention that outside of the interior lining cover, the cases should be equivalent in function and build.

Awesome - thank you for your reply. I actually have the original box that the case and guitar came in, but I honestly just wanted to be sure that GC gave me the correct stuff with it.

With this guitar I am becoming a Gibson enthusiast myself, despite the unresponsiveness of the CS dept.

I think as of last year( the 2016 line) the standard Gibson case is black lined. Enjoy your HB pro, but beware they are a gateway drug, I mean guitar.

LOL!!! Thanks! This was what I was assuming/hoping. And yes, these guitars are a gateway DRUG. I'm already looking at Les Pauls and SGs in my future!!!

A bit of background -

I had a GREAT experience at my local GC, and the GC employee hooked me up with Gibsons, Martins and Taylors. The Taylors were very nice, but to thin and trebly for my personal likes so they went out first. Not a bash on Taylor, just not my style.

It came down to a Songwriter EC and a Martin JCPA4 (a Jumbo version of the DCPA4) I went home with the Martin for 3 weeks and LOVED that guitar, but....

that Songwriter kept calling to me!!!

So I finally scratched the itch and discovered that I LOVE the sound of this HB Pro - which is basically a Songwriter with Mahogany back & sides (EVEN BETTER)!!!

In any case (black or blue), it's really inspiring to have a great acoustic guitar. I can't stop playing the darned thing!

A bit of background -

I had a GREAT experience at my local GC, and the GC employee hooked me up with Gibsons, Martins and Taylors. The Taylors were very nice, but to thin and trebly for my personal likes so they went out first. Not a bash on Taylor, just not my style.

It came down to a Songwriter EC and a Martin JCPA4 (a Jumbo version of the DCPA4) I went home with the Martin for 3 weeks and LOVED that guitar, but....

that Songwriter kept calling to me!!!

So I finally scratched the itch and discovered that I LOVE the sound of this HB Pro - which is basically a Songwriter with Mahogany back & sides (EVEN BETTER)!!!

In any case (black or blue), it's really inspiring to have a great acoustic guitar. I can't stop playing the darned thing!

Much the same for me when I got my J-15 almost 2 weeks ago now - there is something special about Gibson acoustics for sure.

I've not had occasion to contact Gibson's customer support yet, but I am hopeful that should I ever need to they'd be willing to help.

Much the same for me when I got my J-15 almost 2 weeks ago now - there is something special about Gibson acoustics for sure.

I've not had occasion to contact Gibson's customer support yet, but I am hopeful that should I ever need to they'd be willing to help.

That J-15 is something special! That was the guitar that actually got me to look at Gibson acoustics in the first place!

Welcome Bonedish, That guitar is a nice guitar so I hope you enjoy it. Is this your first Gibson?

Thank you for the welcome! It is my first Gibson actually! My next plan is to get a Faded Les Paul Studio, though. I really dig those guitars and especially the Burstbucker Pros that come stock in them.

Welcome to the forum, bonedish!

Sounds like you and your 'Bird are a great match.

As to the case black/blue: it's all good so long as GC didn't try to charge you extra for a case that Gibson provides for free.

Now to the really important question: did you get a Gibson pick and if so what color is it?

Sweet guitar, bonedish! And, yes, both of my 2016 cases have black linings.

Awesome! Thank you Rev Roy so much for your help!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new guitar. Don't sweat the color of the lining. You've got a sweet guitar. Enjoy it and get us a video or sound file of it.........So, have you decided what your next Gibson will be? [thumbup]

Thanks MissouriPicker! I'll definitely get a sound clip or two up eventually. As for my next Gibson I'm eyeballing the Les Paul Studio Faded - but I'm hooked on the Gibson tone, so it could be any Gibson!

Welcome to the forum, bonedish!

Sounds like you and your 'Bird are a great match.

As to the case black/blue: it's all good so long as GC didn't try to charge you extra for a case that Gibson provides for free.

Now to the really important question: did you get a Gibson pick and if so what color is it?

Thank you Fullmental Alpinist!

Funny you mention the "match" thing. My wife and son were with me when I tried out the Hummingbird Pro along with the J-45, J-15 and Martin JPCA4. The vote was unanimous, and the HBP won the "match" tone test with my vocals. I would have been just fine with any of the guitars that I tried, but the tone of the HBP complimented my voice better. The bonus for me is I LOVE the middy tone I get from this guit. And GC did not charge me extra for the case.

As far as the case lining - Gibson Customer Service replied and confirmed what many of you all posted here. Thanks to everybody for their reassurance regarding this.

As for the pick - it is a brown Gibson Acoustic pick that I absolutely LOVE. I love that pick so much that I want to buy MORE. I'm just not sure whether it's a medium or thin pick but it sounds PERFECT with my HBP!

Don't forget to use your key ring pick holder , comes in real handy . Looks a real nice guitar love the look of the sunburst with the split inlays interested to see on the link that Gibson list 11-52 strings not the normal 12-52 . To give you some reassurance with the customer service I found it difficult to find some spare bridge pins the same as Gibson factory issue . Last resort I contacted Gibson and they posted two sets free of charge from the factory to the Isle of Wight England no problem

Don't forget to use your key ring pick holder , comes in real handy . Looks a real nice guitar love the look of the sunburst with the split inlays interested to see on the link that Gibson list 11-52 strings not the normal 12-52 . To give you some reassurance with the customer service I found it difficult to find some spare bridge pins the same as Gibson factory issue . Last resort I contacted Gibson and they posted two sets free of charge from the factory to the Isle of Wight England no problem

YES! The pick holder is AWESOME. I was really happily surprised that this came in the case - a nice touch. I'm honestly surprised that more companies don't do little things like this.

Good to know about the bridge pins. Thanks for sharing your positive CS experience!

Archived