Gibson Brands Forums

2018 SG hopes and dreams...

norcalpiper

On the other hand, there are a great, streamlined Les Paul selection (lookout for that Ocean Burst). There is also a "Studio" firebird in oelham and traditional, and a weird entry level firebird "zero"

I am not too disappointed in the new line—and you know more models will be announced as the year progresses. I am focused on the SG, mainly, so I am easier to please than others.... and that cherry burst finish looks very nice, indeed. I predict an acquisition in the not-so-distant future.

Anyway, I saw about a dozen of the new 2017's as I was building our November catalogue... that SG Standard, those two Firebirds, and a bunch of Les Paul models in some pretty cool finishes. I was told there might be a "Guitar Center Exclusive" SG in cream with gold hardware... but I can't confirm that.

Yeah, the black cherry burst is definitely nice, but the rest is bunk. Continuation of the 70's tribute, but without the minihummers and one less color. Then the faded specials are still in (My favorite SG that I bought this year was one of this model and is the best of all of 2016).

I was hoping to really some progression. I had heard rumors that SG line was going to have a single pickup (SG-1) line in AA woods. I heard that a Brittany Howard SG was to be part of the lineup....

Anyway....I had hoped for more.

So I just saw the 2017 lineup for SGs....shittier than this year. The Black Cherry Burst standard is nice, but even less of a selection. There are a couple of meager student/low end models...but they look shoddy...

Very disappointed.....

Just had a look through the photos.

I'll have to have a closer look once they are officially announced and would like to see them in person.

unrelated

I like the look of the Les Paul Custom Special, I am not sure I'd buy it though I don't really need it.though depends on what the price will be.

was really hoping for a Les Paul Junior in the range but i'll guess I'll have to pick an older model up. I know they are currently doing a limited run one but it's not what I am after.

Archived