Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone body binding question.

Fatstrat

I have an Epiphone DR-100SB that was damaged in a fire. I believe the guitar to be repairable. But due to value exceeding the cost of having it done professionally, I am going to attempt it myself. I'm a pretty handy "fix it" type of guy. I make knives, repairs guns and do lots of other types of repair projects. And have a well equipped work shop. Also this isn't my 1st guitar project. So I believe that I can save this guitar. At least to the extent of making it reasonably presentable and playable. One of the aspects of the intended repair will be to replace at least a portion of the body binding which was slightly melted. It would be of great help if someone could tell me what size binding was used on the guitar, so that I can begin gathering needed supplies. Any info appreciated.

Can you not just measure it???

Most of the time when it comes to binding you can use a piece that's too big and just scrape it down to size once its in place...

Do you know about the use of acetone? It literally melts plastic. Good to use on touch ups and some people use it to bind the binding to the body...

Archived