Gibson Brands Forums

What's a fair out-the-door price on a

MulliganAl

2016 - 1958 RI ES335TD?

I just purchased one (haven't received it yet) and the list was $4,499 and I got it for just over $3,000 and was wondering if this is/was a good price or could it have been had for far less? Also, have you folks played the '58 and if so what did you think of it?

Thanks in advance for the help everyone.

sLMhkTc.jpg

Enjoy your purchase... Congrats!

You paid for it ...why worry if you could have gotten it cheaper?

Otherwise:

1. Perhaps, ask Sweetwater if they will now give you a better price. However, this is better done prior to purchase. From experience, they're good about it. Call or email the "engineer" assigned to you.
  2. Check other online stores if you can find a better deal...then ask for price match.
  3. Check for possible imperfections; then ask for a discount.
  4. Return it if you cannot "bond" with it; this happens for whatever unexplained reason.

If it's a "keeper"...Have fun with your new guitar!

As ever, the UK prices make US ones look like a steal. I enjoyed a 15-minute test drive of one of these instruments in my local 'big-box'store about a month ago. They were then undercutting the rest of the UK (and EU export) market at £2950 sterling or thereabouts. Everybody else was well over £3000 - mostly £3500. Now that store has reverted to over £3K, and is still among the cheapest at £3299.

Did I say 'enjoyed' the test drive? This is the most dangerous case of GAS I've had in years.

In recent years I'd thought I could repress my desire for a 335 indefinitely, because I'd decided that I would only take the plunge on one which had the right sound and an unbound neck. I was pretty sure that the latter item would never be featured on a readily available production Gibson, and increasingly convinced that the former was like a needle in a haystack. Too many ES guitars I've encountered in recent years have lacked the treble-to-bass range I associate with the series. Especially on the treble side. Beautiful-looking and -sounding guitars, but very much in the middle of the Gibson tonal palette. If that's what you want, then perfect, but the 335 superseded the LP as my holy grail when I realized that I wanted the widest possible range between woody jazz tones and cutting trebles. I'd begun to think that I'd get further with a Telecaster.

But oh, the '58 VOS! Through a dull Marshall set clean, low and middling, it did woody jazz with minimal tweaking AND it did trebles that would make a lot of Teles jealous. This is the sound that I associate with the 335, and which justifies its reputation as one of the most versatile instruments. I think the pickups are excellent. Took a little while to adjust to that neck profile, but it is a great profile, and the guitar just felt so much more comfortable than other ES guitars I've tried recently. It took a lot of courage to ask to try the guitar, because it is simply way out of my price league at the moment. But after 15 minutes I was seriously trying to work out how I might manage and justify the repayments. Sadly the reality is that I can't, so this one will elude me till I win the lottery. For the quality, though, I don't think it's expensive, and especially not in comparison with other, less special instruments on the market.

Enjoy yours, and if price starts to worry you, just remember that it would have cost you so much more on this side of the pond!

Seems like a fantastic price when Chicago Music is selling that guitar at $4499. At this point don't worry about what you paid for the guitar, just enjoy playing it. It's a beautiful guitar. Congratulations on your purchase.

Seems like a fantastic price when Chicago Music is selling that guitar at $4499. At this point don't worry about what you paid for the guitar, just enjoy playing it. It's a beautiful guitar. Congratulations on your purchase.

What he said. [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived