Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Guitars??

iluvcrap2000

Hi all, new member here.

I have spent the last few months researching and playing lots of LPs in my local shops (we have a lot) to try and decide which way I wanted to go with a new LP. It seems that Gibson dropped the ball for a few years and somewhat redeemed themselves in 2016. So, considering that, I have high hopes that 2017 will be as good (hopefully better). So much so, that I have preordered a 2017 LP standard HP in Bourbon Burst. Reviews of this model are almost none existent this early but, I am hopeful that this guitar will not need to be returned, because at this price, I will need to absolutely be in love with it in order to keep it.

I have also been torn between the 2017 and a 2016 Standard HP in Desert Burst, simply because of the good reviews I've heard on the 2016 and a little bit because it looks a bit more traditional without all the chrome, though tradition is not of that much of a priority for me personally. Hey! I even like the tail lights on the new Corvettes, even though they are not round ;)

Bill B)

Thanks! I did see and watch this one along with another. I did say "almost". There are very few.....

No worries... You may also be interested in reading this thread

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/133769-2017-gibson-les-paul-standard-hp-is-bad-and-being-returned/

Not saying they are all like that (well I bloody hope not) but something to keep in mind I guess...

No worries... You may also be interested in reading this thread

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/133769-2017-gibson-les-paul-standard-hp-is-bad-and-being-returned/

Not saying they are all like that (well I bloody hope not) but something to keep in mind I guess...

Interesting read and a few things to be more aware of to be sure. One of the other reviews I saw, had a Blueberry Burst with one wobbly pot and sticky small E string at the nut. These issues were easily fixed but, this crappy electronics cavity thing is over the top. And of course someone will see it sooner than later, since you need to go in there to fiddle with the dip switches. I do not understand how QC did not catch this or would let it slide and trying to meet production quota, training a new guy, having a hangover or whatever is no excuse. And two guitars in a row?!!? This does not inspire much confidence that Gibson is back on track. I really hope it was an isolated incident.

There are features I like that are only available on the HP models and that's why I'm stuck wanting one. Though know it seems I may need to re evaluate that. I'm not going to stop shopping (hands on) and just may run across something completely unexpected (including used) that I won't be able to live without and likely save a few bucks in the process, though that's really not an issue. Trust me though, I will be going over it with an even finer tooth comb than usual.

I am after one really nice guitar instead two, three or more nice guitars. My wife would notice one less than many. She already thinks I have too many.

With that, I think I'm going to the guitar shops right now and check some others out B)

With that, I think I'm going to the guitar shops right now and check some others out B)

Indeed.. We get many people on here who ask us opinions on which guitar to buy.. We can maybe help narrow down the choice a bit as I do understand the choices can be a bit overwhelming but the ONLY way to find the guitar for you is to go and play them.. as many as you can.

As you say, you just never know what will speak to you... I never wanted a goldtop but when the original 60s Tribute Studios came out I loved so many of the colours.. I must have tried about 10 of them and the last one I tried was a Goldtop which I hadn't even considered before.. With just one strum I knew it was mine (and I now LOVE goldtops :))

That's all part of the fun I think though [thumbup]

Id also say to you, if you find one and you like how it looks but not how it plays or sounds.. Ask if they have another of the same colour and model in the back.. cos that's the thing about guitars, each one is slightly different... And its those small differences that make each guitar good, bad or amazing for the player.. there is no right or wrong, just what you like and don't like.

So, good luck on your hunt.. Take your time... And come back and post pics for us when you find her. :)

Indeed.. We get many people on here who ask us opinions on which guitar to buy.. We can maybe help narrow down the choice a bit as I do understand the choices can be a bit overwhelming but the ONLY way to find the guitar for you is to go and play them.. as many as you can.

As you say, you just never know what will speak to you... I never wanted a goldtop but when the original 60s Tribute Studios came out I loved so many of the colours.. I must have tried about 10 of them and the last one I tried was a Goldtop which I hadn't even considered before.. With just one strum I knew it was mine (and I now LOVE goldtops :))

That's all part of the fun I think though [thumbup]

Id also say to you, if you find one and you like how it looks but not how it plays or sounds.. Ask if they have another of the same colour and model in the back.. cos that's the thing about guitars, each one is slightly different... And its those small differences that make each guitar good, bad or amazing for the player.. there is no right or wrong, just what you like and don't like.

So, good luck on your hunt.. Take your time... And come back and post pics for us when you find her. :)

I've been on photography forums for a number years now and many people ask the same question, "what camera should I buy?" which is so subjective and can not really be answered easily. Guitars are even more personal than that.

I know exactly what you mean about "speaking to you", as I learned this back in the 80s when trying out some SGs. I must have played around 6 or 7 SGs at one store that I liked the colors of and had not been "in love" with any of them and was getting ready to leave. Then there was this all white one that did not appeal to me at all but, I picked it up anyway. Almost as soon as I played a few chords, this one was so different from the others. I went back and played the others again but, nothing even compared to the white one I orginally just did not see myself with....I left with it and have used that experience as a guide every since. I recall some girls that I didn't see as attractive at all then, I spent some time and got to know them and they became so beautiful! The reverse has happen with very attractive ones that became somewhat grotesque after getting to know them. Guitars and women are of similar shape so, they must be related [rolleyes]

I think for now I may need to put my OCD in check and wait a few months for others to evaluate some of the 2017 line.

I'm am not a complete newb to guitars, though I am far from well informed in many areas and value guidance and opinions from the more experienced or at least, better informed.

So, the only real criteria I have at this point is....

Thin standard type or 60s profile neck.

I like at least slightly hot or hotter pups.

Binding.

I prefer my frets to be on top of the binding (I know this is a small thing to most people).

I like the idea of having one that is brand new, though used is not completely out of the question.

Hype or not, I would like Plek'd frets.

Color and grain/pattern are very important and I see very few I like, Bourbon Burst being my favorite (which only comes on one model as far as I know).

I really like the new smoothed down heel but, it's not a deal breaker as the color/grain isn't either.

The Titanium adjustable zero fret nut would also be nice....again, not a deal breaker.

So far, the 2016 or 2017 Standard HP seem to fill most of these areas. The only thing left would making sure we are speaking the same language and that would be the deal breaker if we didn't.

Thin standard type or 60s profile neck.

I like at least slightly hot or hotter pups.

Binding.

I prefer my frets to be on top of the binding (I know this is a small thing to most people).

I like the idea of having one that is brand new, though used is not completely out of the question.

Hype or not, I would like Plek'd frets.

Color and grain/pattern are very important and I see very few I like, Bourbon Burst being my favorite (which only comes on one model as far as I know).

I really like the new smoothed down heel but, it's not a deal breaker as the color/grain isn't either.

The Titanium adjustable zero fret nut would also be nice....again, not a deal breaker.

So far, the 2016 or 2017 Standard HP seem to fill most of these areas. The only thing left would making sure we are speaking the same language and that would be the deal breaker if we didn't.

My instant reaction to that is to go try out a LP Classic... If you can find an older one, they have some of the hottest pickups Gibson make.... and such fantastic slim necks...

Or there is a new HP model..

https://www.musicstore.de/en_ZA/ZAR/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-2017-HP-Gold-Top/art-GIT0039716-000

https://www.musicstore.de/en_ZA/ZAR/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-2017-HP-Heritage-Cherry-Sunburst/art-GIT0039715-000

My instant reaction to that is to go try out a LP Classic... If you can find an older one, they have some of the hottest pickups Gibson make.... and such fantastic slim necks...

Or there is a new HP model..

https://www.musicstore.de/en_ZA/ZAR/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-2017-HP-Gold-Top/art-GIT0039716-000

https://www.musicstore.de/en_ZA/ZAR/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-2017-HP-Heritage-Cherry-Sunburst/art-GIT0039715-000

Thanks! This is why I posted what I am leaning towards, for these types of suggestions. To be honest, Cherry Sunburst is just about my least favorite color and I have never cared much for the Gold either. I will not rule them out (like the white SG) and perhaps look for other "Classics" (perhaps used) as long as they have the thin neck profile.

I went to two stores today, not having enough energy to go to the third but, what I noticed that there isn't a lot of selection left since they have been doing "Gibson Days" sales. Prices are going down and there are a few HPs such as Studios but, not much selection.

It seems that I just may be forced to wait until the end of December for the 2017s and just keep my eyes open for that hidden jewel in the mean time.

Thanks again, Bill

Thanks! This is why I post what I am leaning towards. To be honest, Cherry Sunburst is just about my least favorite color and I have never cared much for the Gold either. I will not rule them out (like the white SG) and perhaps look for other "Classics" (perhaps used) as long as they have the thin neck profile.

I went to two stores today, not having enough energy to go to the third but, what I noticed that there isn't a lot of selection left since they have been doing "Gibson Days" sales. Prices are going down and there are a few HPs such as Studios but, not much selection.

It seems that I just may be forced to wait until the end of December for the 2017s and just keep my eyes open for that hidden jewel in the mean time.

Thanks again, Bill

Well theres always the green one... Its a bit love or hate.. but I quite like it :)

https://www.musicstore.de/en_ZA/ZAR/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-2017-HP-Green-Ocean-Burst/art-GIT0039714-000

Well theres always the green one... Its a bit love or hate.. but I quite like it :)

https://www.musicstore.de/en_ZA/ZAR/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-2017-HP-Green-Ocean-Burst/art-GIT0039714-000

Well, some statistics say that geniuses prefer green [biggrin] Probably why I don't like it :P

BTW, to give you an idea of what looks appeals to me and in order of preference....

1). http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HLPS17B8CH (Not available for about a month in Bourbon burst, 3 choices available in Honey Burst which isn't too bad).

2). http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HLPNSTDPDBCHd (Demo, available now)

3). http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HLPNSTDPFBCH (available now, two to choose from and I really do not like the burst or grain on the other one).

These are images of the actual guitars I am considering. It would be the first guitar purchase I have ever made without playing first. It would only cost me discounted shipping to return it if I decided it wasn't the one.

So Gibson has finally got something up re. the 2017 range and the 'featured' guitar is a terrible example of a AAA top. It has the worst grain pattern on the upper bout that almost obscures the flaming.

They're usually very good a picking nice examples as their featured one, but this one really puts me off.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

So Gibson has finally got something up re. the 2017 range and the 'featured' guitar is a terrible example of a AAA top. It has the worst grain pattern on the upper bout that almost obscures the flaming.

They're usually very good a picking nice examples as their featured one, but this one really puts me off.

I do not like that example either and probably the worst sample I have seen [thumbdn].

I have also seen pictures of some with dark stained backs where the grain still shows but, most appear to have black backs with no grain visable.

Well someone heard you!

That page 404'd for me.

Well someone heard you!

That page 404'd for me.

It keeps going on and off since almost a month..and no other model displayed.

I wonder to know what are they waiting for...the 2017 line started to be available for purchase from october.

Is Gibson waiting for feedbacks from the already sold ones, in order to -eventually- change the specs? [rolleyes]

Is Gibson waiting for feedbacks from the already sold ones, in order to -eventually- change the specs? [rolleyes]

From some of what I have seen personally and some bits and pieces I have only been hearing about. I certainly hope they are listening and further refine the quality, that so far seems to be inconsistent at best.

Archived